The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-08-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default questions about competitions(part 2)

thanks for the posts on my previous questions. they were very helpful. today i have a few questions about the meat.

where do you get meat for competition? is it just regular stuff like smithfield or fresh from a butcher or do you use stuff from places like www.heritagefoodsusa.com and www.greatwestcattle.com

can you use dry aged brisket? would it be any better than not?

what kind of ribs do you use?

are chicken thighs the part to use or are other parts acceptable?

thanks,
phil
rookiedad is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: questions about competitions(part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad
thanks for the posts on my previous questions. they were very helpful. today i have a few questions about the meat.

where do you get meat for competition? is it just regular stuff like smithfield or fresh from a butcher or do you use stuff from places like www.heritagefoodsusa.com and www.greatwestcattle.com

can you use dry aged brisket? would it be any better than not?

what kind of ribs do you use?

are chicken thighs the part to use or are other parts acceptable?

thanks,
phil
Tim and I usually get the meat at Sam's - though I've been using chicken from Publix or Albertson's - smaller pieces and minimally processed. I also buy whole brisket from GFS/Smart & Final - they'll order in anything I need.

You can use dry ages brisket as long as it's been USDA or state ag dept. inspected. We wet age our briskets and can leave them in the cryovac. the inspectors love you having the meat in the original wrappings. :D

We prefer St. Louis cut spares - we buy the cryovac ribs from Sam's or GFS and usually trim them ourselves. We used some really meaty babybacks at Dillard - because our research has shown that "most" KCBS judges - especially east of the Mississippi River "expect" to see babybacks. This is certainly a judgement call - use what you are comfortable with.

All parts of the chicken are acceptable. Most, at this time, competitors use thighs for a couple of reasons - more fat content so they stay more moist (and yes we brine/marinade), they fit nicely in the turnin box, etc. As a judge I've had white meat turned in and it's been excellent but always "dry" compared to dark meat turn ins - not comparing, just stating fact. I've seen some really nice wings and legs in turnin boxes but haven't seen them win in the events I've been to. You can also do whole chicken and cut it down - you have to have the 6 (8 in FBA) pieces in the box.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Jeff_in_KC

Default Re: questions about competitions(part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
We prefer St. Louis cut spares - we buy the cryovac ribs from Sam's or GFS and usually trim them ourselves. We used some really meaty babybacks at Dillard - because our research has shown that "most" KCBS judges - especially east of the Mississippi River "expect" to see babybacks. This is certainly a judgement call - use what you are comfortable with.
This is interesting. Of course I am west of the Mississippi. I've never cooked anything but babybacks and was contemplating trying St. Louis spares for contest for two reasons. 1. that's mostly what I'm seeing in turn in box photos and 2. because I've really been struggling as of late to get the rib meat to NOT be falling off the bone at dinner time. There's also invariably a very thin layer of meat across the highest point of the curvature of the rib that yanks off from the rest when I try to slice the ribs, exposing the pink smoke ring and destroying the look of the bark and rib overall.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I have 2 local Butchers that I trust to pick out the best meat for me. They know me and they know what I want. I give them plenty of time so that they can order the meat if they have to. On Beef we only use Choice or better Angus. On pork (since it isn't graded) I trust my butcher to get me the best. Ribs and chicken, I pick out myself You may pay a little more but then again----How badly do you want to win?

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Phil,

I usually get my meats at Sams, except for chicken. Like Dave, I buy the chicken from Publix (grocery store chain). Usually on ribs, pork, and brisket, I look for IBP, but I get what I can find. Brisket - I typically cook flats, choice or choice plus. Pork - the largest butts I can find. Ribs - Spares, that I trim to St. Louis cut. Chicken - thigh's..

I have tried the fancy meats, and they have not produced results that justify the cost. IMHO
www.bbqstore.co
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebbq
Phil,

I usually get my meats at Sams, except for chicken. Like Dave, I buy the chicken from Publix (grocery store chain). Usually on ribs, pork, and brisket, I look for IBP, but I get what I can find. Brisket - I typically cook flats, choice or choice plus. Pork - the largest butts I can find. Ribs - Spares, that I trim to St. Louis cut. Chicken - thigh's..

I have tried the fancy meats, and they have not produced results that justify the cost. IMHO
Spoken like a true champion.......

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote