The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Sway
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Was it the lump?

Did a beer can chicken today and used RO lump for the first time. Both temperature gauges were about 250/260 and it went for 3-1/2hrs, checked the IT and it was only at 130 and the bottome still looked raw

Im lost, dont get it? Did I do something wrong? Do I need to bring the temp up higher, maybe 300?

PS, its in the oven right now so we can eat
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
marshallflyer
Found some matches.

I have better luck using 300 our 325 to cook chicken. Using either lump or briquette

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
marshallflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Sway
Full Fledged Farker

So I needed to have a higer cooking temp? Thought I did the first one about 250ish, maybe Im wrong?
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway View Post
Did a beer can chicken today and used RO lump for the first time. Both temperature gauges were about 250/260 and it went for 3-1/2hrs, checked the IT and it was only at 130 and the bottome still looked raw

Im lost, dont get it? Did I do something wrong? Do I need to bring the temp up higher, maybe 300?

PS, its in the oven right now so we can eat
You made the one rookie mistake we all do. Tried to smoke chicken at low temps. Poultry likes to be cooked in the 325-350 range. That's why I always use my OTS for chicken. Indirect at 350ish is easy. A beer can chicken shouldn't take more than 1.5-2 hours this way.

This was my rookie mistake trying to smoke chix:

The skin was horrible. I tossed the skin and made chicken burritos out of the meat. Next attempt with the OTS:

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

What kind of cooker are you using?

I'd cook chicken around 325-350 for crispy skin and to get it out of the temperature danger zone quicker.

It's not the RO. I have used it a lot with excellent results every time.

Chicken is cheap, just try again.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
ddweatherholtz
Full Fledged Farker

I've done some whole chickens on my COS at 275-300 and done in about 3 hours. 25 degrees is all it takes to really speed up the cooking process.

Doug-E-Q
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverik ET732
ddweatherholtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
You made the one rookie mistake we all do. Tried to smoke chicken at low temps. The skin was horrible.
What you saying Willis? I do agree Chicken comes out good at higher temps, I do it this way a lot, but I have done lower temps and had excellent smoked chicken. When done right it cannot be beat! Other that the Skin which is bad for your health anyway.

For original poster, I think your thermometer is off, calibrate it.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} View Post
What you saying Willis? I do agree Chicken comes out good at higher temps, I do it this way a lot, but I have done lower temps and had excellent smoked chicken. When done right it cannot be beat! Other that the Skin which is bad for your health anyway.

For original poster, I think your thermometer is off, calibrate it.
From the OP:
Quote:
Both temperature gauges were about 250/260 and it went for 3-1/2hrs
3.5 hours and it wasn't done. That sums it up doesn't it?

Unread 05-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
From the OP: 3.5 hours and it wasn't done. That sums it up doesn't it?
Yes it does, their thermometers are not calibrated correctly.

Your comment was saying Smoked Chicken was a rookie mistake, not true. Your first picture in your post looks like you cooked direct and the 2nd was indirect.

So what is your point?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Sort of. The first pic was done on the no longer owned by me COS at temps in the mid 250s. My fire management skills were zero back then. Lots of bad smoke and it shows.

Second pic was indirect on the chicken cooking machine (OTS) at around 350-375 with a couple apple chunks. They were amazing.

I still can't figure out how a BC chix can take that long to be done. Thermometer is suspect for sure. Something else may be up.. Peeking every 15 minutes maybe?

My comment was supposed to be interpreted as smoking chicken at temps lower than 325 is a mistake btw. Unless you like to chew on rubber bands.

Unread 05-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Was the beer cold or at room tempwhen you started the cook? IMO, that's not the underlying reason why the chicken wasn't cooked to temp, but it certainly could be a contributing factor. I'm not a huge fan of the beer can chicken, but when I have done it, I use a room temp beer.

The more work that fuel has to do to get other things up to temp (cold chicken, cold beer, liquid-filled water pan, etc.), the longer it's going to take to get the meat up to an edible temp.

I also agree with cooking at a higher temp. I prefer 300-325 as well for chicken.

Best of luck to you.....you'll totally figure it out. Keep us posted.

Unread 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Sort of. The first pic was done on the no longer owned by me COS at temps in the mid 250s. My fire management skills were zero back then. Lots of bad smoke and it shows.

Second pic was indirect on the chicken cooking machine (OTS) at around 350-375 with a couple apple chunks. They were amazing.

I still can't figure out how a BC chix can take that long to be done. Thermometer is suspect for sure. Something else may be up.. Peeking every 15 minutes maybe?

My comment was supposed to be interpreted as smoking chicken at temps lower than 325 is a mistake btw. Unless you like to chew on rubber bands.

I agree........

All thermometers are not created equal, nor are their speeds/times to achieve a proper reading anything to resemble equality.