oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cutting Brisket on the bias

I've been having trouble finding briskets with thick flats this year. I was thinking about cutting them on the bias, but I didn't know if it would effect tenderness. I don't think it would, but I'd like to hear from people who do it or have done it in a competition. thanks.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I've seen it done but it's a lot harder to get consistent slices. Try it at home first.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

I think you should try and report back the results.

QUOTE=jrbBBQ;2056378]I've been having trouble finding briskets with thick flats this year. I was thinking about cutting them on the bias, but I didn't know if it would effect tenderness. I don't think it would, but I'd like to hear from people who do it or have done it in a competition. thanks.[/QUOTE]
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

agree with Ford.. it would be more difficult to cut consistent slices.
It will also slightly affect the tenderness. Anytime you cut any way except right across the grain, you will "toughen up" the meat a bit. Not really, but that's the perception when it's tasted. It's a trick we sometimes use when our brisket or pork is a bit too tender. Cutting slightly off grain will allow a slice to stay together a bit more.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
agree with Ford.. it would be more difficult to cut consistent slices.
It will also slightly affect the tenderness. Anytime you cut any way except right across the grain, you will "toughen up" the meat a bit. Not really, but that's the perception when it's tasted. It's a trick we sometimes use when our brisket or pork is a bit too tender. Cutting slightly off grain will allow a slice to stay together a bit more.
Bias slicing still cuts cross grain. Same cut line. I do it with flank steak for fajitas. It doesn't impact tenderness. But I don't care then if slices are same thickness as sometimes the knife angle is not the same top to edge.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

It's across the grain, but not straight across. The fibers of meat are slightly longer when you cut on the bias, therefore it appears slightly less tender and holds together better. The same way you can cut slightly underdone brisket thinner and make it appear more tender, or slightly overdone brisket thicker to hold it together. It doesn't truly affect the tenderness, but the shorter the fibers the easier it pulls part and chews. Anything you do to lengthen the fibers alters the perceived tenderness.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I always cut on the bias, seems to work for me.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote