ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Sweet Blue and a Stick Burner Question

Thinking about doing a full wood cook on the Bandera, it will be my 1st time using nothing but wood. May do Ribs or maybe a Butt. I have some nice sized logs of Mesquite and Pecan.

Just wondering about adding logs during the cook. How do you not end up with bitter smoke while the added logs get going?

Is it better to use Logs that are cut into chunks rather than full logs?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

try keeping the logs pre-warmed on the top of the firebox and have them split to a good size that is proportionate to the size of the firebox.

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

I like to use small logs, not chunks they burn too fast.

I never cook 100% wood, as I always start with a charcoal base and then add logs on top.

I build a log cabin type affair in the fire box with logs to be used later stacked crossways on lower logs. Minion method on bottom with charcoal.
Set right, it will get me about 1/2 through the evening before I have to start adding fuel.

Yes pre-heat logs on top of firebox, and dont toss too much in at a time, or u will smother fire and really smoke

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

As mentioned, pre-heating some logs on top of the firebox really helps them ignite once you toss them in.
BE CAREFUL - as they can catch fire in the pre-heating location.
Use standard, split seasoned wood, not chunks.
Also, never let your fire/coal bed get too weak/cold. Keeping a good hot fire going will ignite that next log fast with minimal smoke/smoldering. Go for it! Good luck!!

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
BigBobBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I agree pre heating them on the fire box and I only add 1 or 2 at a time and the smoke is usually minimal and clears up fast.

Home built 120 gallon stick burner on wheels,
Master Built 7-in-1 vertical,
Master Forge Charcoal grill,
open pit,
UDS,
BigBobBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

Yah I never go 100% wood. I go with small logs and a chimney of charcoal to start. Mix of apple and oak. I usually start with 2 small logs and go from there.

Unread 05-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Forrestbro
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for posting this question, Midnight Smoke. Please let us know how it comes out. Many thanks to all of you who responded. I have never used all wood in my Bandera but I was wondering if I should. I'm still learning how she likes to cook and this post was just what I needed.

Unread 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 5

I start with 3-12" splits; 2 on the outside and 1 furthest from the opening to the cooker ~ something like this: |_|. Then I fill it with a chimney of lit charcoal and wait for her to come up to temp. Going forward, nothing but preheated oak and cherry splits 12" to 14" long. I usually have to add 1 or 2 splits every 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the weather. When I do add, I continue the |_| pattern keeping the coal bed contained right at the opening to the cooker. If I do it right, I have a small, hot fire and nothing but sweet blue.
Weber 18 and 22.5 OTS Kettle w/Marty's handles
Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

If you really want to be safe about the smoke, you can start another fire in another pit (e.g., an open fire pit). Then shovel the already hot and burning logs in.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

The size of your splits will be a huge factor also. For the Bandera, I'd go with a little smaller than forearm thickness and preheated like said before. They'll ignite much faster and burn cleaner. And yes, as mentioned, keep a good bed of coals going. If it get's to low, add some lit charcoal to get you back. Putting wood on a low bed of coals can create a lot of excess and thick smoke.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Terry, I can tell you with some certainty that you can do a full wood cook on that Bandera. You should preheat the splits on the fire box as suggested above. Ideal size would be 12 inches long and the width of a V8 can. Even when doing an all wood cook, I would often start with a bed of charcoal or a mix. Not a requirement, but an option.

I can also tell you with some certainty that if you leave that wood on the firebox of that Bandera, and, you know, "take a nap" that it may ignite. .

Have fun, you can certainly get clear blue smoke from an all wood cook on it. If I were you I would do ribs and enjoy an afternoon of cooking on it. Maybe even direct grill chicken on it after you are done with the ribs.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
BirminghamBill
Found some matches.

Do you have to split wood?

I have some maple branches I trimmed off a tree 3 weeks ago. It's young enough wood it doesn't have mature bark on it yet, but the size seems perfect for my smoker. Will the young bark be problematic?

I'd rather not stare at the pile for a year if I won't get good flavor off it come next spring!

BirminghamBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirminghamBill View Post
Do you have to split wood?

I have some maple branches I trimmed off a tree 3 weeks ago. It's young enough wood it doesn't have mature bark on it yet, but the size seems perfect for my smoker. Will the young bark be problematic?

I'd rather not stare at the pile for a year if I won't get good flavor off it come next spring!

Here's what I've learned about limb trimmings. In my observation, they take longer to season that a split piece of wood that's much bigger in size, thickness wise. The reason for this is because there is little exposed surface area of the wood because the bark surrounds it. The only place the moisture can escape easily is the ends. When it burns, the bark also traps the moisture inside the wood as it heats and creates steam, which is that hissing sound you hear coming from wet wood. The bark that surrounds the wood only makes the problem worse IMO.

So, in my opinion, I would either split the wood, or cut it into smaller chunks to create more surface area for the moisture to escape and use it in a WSM (or similar smoker), or as an accent flavor on the grill.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Unread 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
BirminghamBill
Found some matches.

Thanks, Carolina Que. That makes some smart sense. I think this may either end up in the fire pit or the Weber Kettle.

Either that or it'll be ready for football season 2013!
BirminghamBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

What I have done with larger limbs like some of the bigger ones in your pic is just oben the center of the wood with a hatched (and a hammer if you need). Some times, I just don't need more chunk, and I don't want to wait for the wood longer than needed. By opening the middle up, and not splitting all the way through, it will burn longer than the half of it and you get the surface area exposed to dry it out enough.

- Beautiful family