The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pre-Comp Jitters?

so.. comp newbie question... Did you all find, that as you got to your first comp, ( or maybe still do ) as you are practicing, that as you get closer to the date, you start feeling a little jumpy about the comp? I am doing my first single-entry event in a few weeks, and all of a sudden, I am feeling like more practice runs are needed....

Which actually brings me to another thought.... when you are doing a run through for a full KCBS comp... how many full practices are you all doing? Just wondering...
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

The greatest athletes/competitors will tell you that they still get nervous before every game/competition. It's what you do with the nervous with the game starts that determines how good you'll be.

[COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen, Maverick ET73, Maverick ET72

[COLOR=darkred]Check out my all things food (and movies) blog [/COLOR][URL="http://www.onenine3bbq.blogspot.com"]One Nine 3 Blog[/URL] [COLOR=darkred]or at my[/COLOR] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/OneNine3"]Facebook Page[/URL]

If you're a fellow [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=53"]Carolina Brethren[/URL] come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Parts_Guy
On the road to being a farker

Our 1st comp of the season is next weekend(26-27) and we just had our practice run this past weekend. I feel like throwing up every time I think about the comp. Happens to me every time too...lol.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

some good thoughts on the subject just recently here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=131966

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is just my 2nd year so I still feel like a noob. While I don't think you can ever have too much practice there comes a point where you just have to trust you know what you are doing/going to do and then do it at the comp.

I haven't done a full practice run in a while as I feel we have the full event timing down. But now we practice different recipes on meats we think need work in flavor/tenderness. For example last week I wanted to work on chicken before the comp I did over the weekend as chicken was by far my worst category. I mean it is just a complete dumpster fire. So I started with a different chicken recipe the Sunday before and cooked it 7 or 8 different times that week tweaking it slightly each time until I got the flavor I wanted. And it paid off as my chicken did much better.

So I now don't want to tweak the chicken anymore and will work on pork next since that needs some changes to flavor.
22.5 WSM & Weber 18.5 Kettle
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

A competition is about 75% preparation, and 25% execution. If you've done it enough times, achieved the results you were looking for, and DOCUMENTED how you got there so it's repeatable, then I think you should relax. Make sure you have a detailed schedule posted on your wall during your cook, and it takes away a TON of the anxiety. Just follow the tasks, meet the timelines, and let the judges determine what happens after you turn things in.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone! Some great feedback, I appreciate it

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

Sheesh, just relax and have fun! That's what it should be about, don't get so serious! Be flexible, **** happens!
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Hebe thanks BC. I am a musician as well and typically. I get nervous leading up to a performance. However when it comes to showtime those nervous butterflies are gone and I am all business. I would expect the same thing here.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I was a nervous wreck when it came to my first KCBS competition. But the jitters go away for the most part the more seasoned you become. My advice: have the details of the last 60 mins before turn in written down so you can reference it when it comes to crunch time. Having that list will save you from forgetting anything you wanted to do. Stop by for a visit if you have any questions...or just need a cold one to settle the nerves. We will be getting there sometime Friday afternoon and staying until Monday morning.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We just did our first comp about ten days ago. I was a nervous wreck.

I had practiced all I could, fretted over details, and just about made it no fun for myself or my team mates.

First, It's BBQ. The same thing you do to relax in your backyard. Have fun while doing it.

Second, work on fundamentals like we did. No DQ's, Turn ins on time, and no DAL's.

Third, enjoy those around you. I met some awesome folks that weekend, all of them willing to give me a tidbit of advice.

We all have lofty goals of being the next contest crusher at BBQ. The jitter and anticipation are just part of it, but it all makes it worth it when you crack a brew at 1:31 on Saturday, and say, "It's all up to the judges now."

Roll with it, have fun, and good luck!

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Pelkster
Full Fledged Farker

It was one year ago that I was getting ready for my first comp. I did two or three practice cooks to get my timing down, but I was still nervous as all get out. I don't think I slept much the week before the contest. Now as I am gearing up for the first comp of the year (same one I lead off with last year) I'm not really nervous, but I am really excited. Looking forward to seeing a lot of my new friends I met last year. The cook is what it is. Like others have posted, meet your turn ins, stick to your time line, and everything else will fall into place. Trust in yourself and your team to get the job done, and make sure you enjoy the experience. :)

Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

Just like Keith, we were preparing for our first comp. last year - and we were super nervous. We did multiple practice cooks, with a full run through two weekends before to get our timing down...

Once we got to the site, we were lucky enough to be right next to Sean at Red Valley BBQ who helped us get set up and provided moral support. While it was stressful, they helped us remember it's supposed to be FUN.

Now we're gearing up for the first contest of the season, and I can tell you we're just as nervous/excited as we were last year... I don't think that ever goes away - and maybe if it does it means we're not looking forward to it anymore - so I'm glad we still feel that way.

Stop on by and say Hello in Roc City!

[I]KCBS / NEBS / CBJ[/I]
[I][I]MAK 2 Star General / [/I][/I][I]Yoder YS640[/I]
[I]2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / [/I][I]3 - Weber kettle's[/I]
[I]Backwoods Fatboy[/I]
[I][COLOR=magenta]PINK[/COLOR] Thermapen[/I]
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
Jeffp
On the road to being a farker

If I dont get the jitters, I'm going to quit doing it because for me it means I'm bored with it. I get nervous the week before and more so on the drive to where ever we are going. Once there though, I get set up see friends and all seems right.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl14226 View Post
Just like Keith, we were preparing for our first comp. last year - and we were super nervous. We did multiple practice cooks, with a full run through two weekends before to get our timing down...

Once we got to the site, we were lucky enough to be right next to Sean at Red Valley BBQ who helped us get set up and provided moral support. While it was stressful, they helped us remember it's supposed to be FUN.

Now we're gearing up for the first contest of the season, and I can tell you we're just as nervous/excited as we were last year... I don't think that ever goes away - and maybe if it does it means we're not looking forward to it anymore - so I'm glad we still feel that way.

Stop on by and say Hello in Roc City!
I will definitely do that. I plan on coming down during the KCBS comp on Sunday to walk around, and try to meet some of the folks from this fine message board. I will make a point to come say hello...