The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What to expect at a Sam's club event?

We are in our first Sam's club event next weekend in Lenexa, Ks and have know idea what to expect. Not a lot of info out there Looking for any info previous competitors might know.
Average spot size
Water and electricity availability
Volunteers/ helpfulness
Covering up sponsors logos
Atmosphere
Reps
Goodie bags
Odd rules
etc.
I know a lot of this is covered online but was wondering how it really goes down. Thanks!
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -Haulmark Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Hot Grill on Grill Logan
Knows what a fatty is.

Just go out there and be Moo Cow and the rest will take care of itself! Good Luck. We are hoping to land in the IA one, we are first on the waiting list.
Hot Grill on Grill Logan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Average spot size...... Probably 20x30

Water and electricity availability....Electric from a Genset. It may or may not work 100% of the time. Water...bring jugs, buckets, whatever. Comendere a shopping buggy and head towards the tire center to the hose.

Volunteers/ helpfulness....Very good

Covering up sponsors logos...What is a sponsor?

Atmosphere....depends on the location. In Marietta, the family doctor in the red truck with lights and horns is going to wake you up and keep you awake from 2am-5am. Summer? Hot as hell.

Reps....Same at every one. Very good IME.

Goodie bags....Typical...coozie and some other stuff long forgotten at the next contest.

Odd rules....None. Unless you consider you need to take extra care and really use the red cups and do not feed the animals.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Water - Plan on walking
Electric - So so
Volunteers - Awesome!
Atmosphere - Awesome!
Reps - Awesome!
Goodie bags - Best i have ever had
Odd rules - None

I can't wait to get to my Sam's event!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

Shane, the one we did this year didn't have spaces marked. They just assigned the size space you need as you get there (pretty much as much space as you needed).
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

Average spot size - they allowed up to 20x40 at Midwest City, but loaded in as you arrived one by one... so teams only really took the space they need... I took about 20x30 but in theory could have taken another 10 feet.

Water and electricity availability - side of the building... a bit of a hike. Electric was 20 amps and we had good power and no problems at all. Plenty of hook-ups. Bathsoom port-a-johns and handwashing stations near the cooksites. (but not too close!!)

Volunteers/ helpfulness - fantastic

Covering up sponsors logos - they may make you do this.. didn't see many teams with sponsors logos up...

Atmosphere - Great - really enjoyed it! Onsite security all night.

Reps - most of the Sams events are repped by the same couple... they do a great job
Goodie bags - paper towels, foil, munchies, "red cups"

Odd rules - No alcohol so you have to discretely use the provided "red cups." Oh and if you enter the wing contest (I think you can sign up on-site) any you win.. you don't have to provide the "Exact" recipe... you can use generic terms like "Sweet BBQ sauce" or "savory rub" or whatever.... So you CAN use commercial products and don't actually have to name them.
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
mcbrew13
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordy View Post
Oh and if you enter the wing contest (I think you can sign up on-site) any you win.. you don't have to provide the "Exact" recipe... you can use generic terms like "Sweet BBQ sauce" or "savory rub" or whatever.... So you CAN use commercial products and don't actually have to name them.
I am not so sure about this...At Thornton this weekend, Troy said that you need to provide the recipe being complete. If you win, they will mail you a check the next week. He stated that the first comp someone just wrote rub, smoke, sauce (or something like that). I don't think the Tyson people were going to be able to develop that product.

Overall, it was a good event. The water was a hike. They limited the spots to the amount of room you needed. And kept the spots tight. Red cups for sure.

Reps (The Lakes) were great. Troy should be commended for keeping our event on track. At the last minute, the city decided to try and pinch some nickels out of the event for permitting. He did a great job reminding them that it was private property and there were no vendors. Thanks Troy!

Good Luck!
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

(I didn't enter or win the wings...)

However, Troy said at our meeting that the winner would provide a recipe, commercial products could be used, and the recipe could/should be descriptive, examples were given such as "sweet BBQ sauce" or "Honey based BBQ rub" etc. I'm sure you could list the actual products as well... or even your exact recipe for your own personal rub...

I just mentioned it as there was a discussion regarding this prior to the season as to whether or not you could use commercial products in this wing contest... and you can.
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Hoggy Style
Got Wood.

Where does it say no alcohol? I read the rule again ad all I could find was where it says keep your alcohol locked up?

Trevor
Hoggy Style is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Vince RnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy Style View Post
Where does it say no alcohol? I read the rule again ad all I could find was where it says keep your alcohol locked up?

Trevor
It's a Sam's Club corporate policy. Keep it in your site and in red cups and you'll be fine. Other than that, you could face disqualification from the event and, depending on the circumstances, a possible ban from competing in future Sam's Club events.
Vince RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Hoggy Style
Got Wood.

Thanks, not that I plan on getting housed, I just want to make sure everyone in my camp is aware.
Hoggy Style is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Moo Cow....I think I heard you were getting a 10 x 10.

Thanks from:--->