The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #31
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinms33
Quote:
Guess it wasn't a good question... sorry guys.
It's not that it wasn't a good question, Jeff, I think you're just trying to overthink the whole thing.

Instead of trying to guess your reason for competing, I'll tell you mine. The whole reason I want to compete is because I turn out some GOOD que and want to go up against some guys that turn out some EXCELLENT que to see how I rank next to them. That simple. It's an opportunity at braggin rights....and maybe a check to go along with it. Nothing wrong with that but it's going to be all about the way I cook stuff right now. Heck, it's the way I cook right now that made me decide I want to compete. And I'm not gonna change a thing until I figure out how it works for me. If I use Dollar Store spices now then I'll use Dollar Store spices there. If it works for me, so be it. If not, then I need to come home and change some stuff.....after I figure out where I stand. I'm going to be judged on three things, texture, taste and appearance. Will I cook the same at a contest that I do now? Yep. My texture and taste will be the same when I compete as what I cook right now. Now my appearance is a different story. At a cookout around here, one of my buddies could care less about the color or tong marks or anything else, as long as it tastes good. I think appearance is all about "attention to detail". It's about making your stuff look prettier than everybody elses.....no sauce on the lettuce, no lettuce hanging out of the box, the right amount of meat, the right amount of bark with the rest of the pulled stuff, you get my point. That is the only thing that will change from when I do for a neighborhood cook and when I compete.

If your reason for competing matches mine, then you need to take what you do and run with it. Cheap spices, high dollar spices, doesn't matter. Don't change it now. Cook the way you cook and remember the "attention to detail" on appearance. Go up against the rest, find out where you stand and then modify as needed.
Richie, thanks for that perspective. That's a great way to look at it that I hadn't really thought of before.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #32
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

I find a supplier that moves a lot of spices, I look the freshest I can find. We have a spice supplier, sales to other big name suppliers across the country.
If I'm spending the money to compete then why go cheap on spices. Figure out what you will use in 4 to 6 mos, it maybe more than you think. Pay attention to the details.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2005, 11:51 PM   #33
Hoorenga
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

[quote=

Don't do this with Habanero dust - trust me.[/quote]

If you do, don't scratch your nards either. Believe me!

It was a brave man who first ate an oyster.
Brinkman Stillwater Limited, Great Outdoors Vertical charcoal.
Hoorenga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2005, 01:16 AM   #34
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

[quote=Hoorenga]
Quote:
Originally Posted by

Don't do this with Habanero dust - trust me.[/quote

If you do, don't scratch your nards either. Believe me!
Don't fool around with your little lady either. :?
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2005, 09:27 AM   #35
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

Quote:
I remember buying cooking wine for something and taking a taste of it. Yettttcccchhhh!
Another Hooism.......

Unread 08-31-2005, 01:49 PM   #36
Hoorenga
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq
Quote:
I remember buying cooking wine for something and taking a taste of it. Yettttcccchhhh!
Another Hooism.......
Ever taste cooking wine? Don't ever buy that chit. Get some good cheap drinking wine.

More on spices:

I used to work in a spice store (many years ago). We sold bulk spices. I remember having to fill the large jars that we kept on the shelves. One thing I noticed was that the quality of the herb from different suppliers varied considerably. Some times it was a freshness issue but more often the varations in quality were the result of the herb itself, where it was grown, which particular variety it was. and how it was handled throughout its processing. Just think of herbs like coffey. There are going to be variations, just make sure it is fresh and that you like the smell and taste of what you are using.

It was a brave man who first ate an oyster.
Brinkman Stillwater Limited, Great Outdoors Vertical charcoal.
Hoorenga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #37
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Link goes to an interesting article on Penzeys Spices. You may have to register with the sight to view, but it's free. You can also order a catalog from the Penzeys website.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5782859.html

Unread 12-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #38
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
<raises his hand> I'll vouch for Penzey's. GREAT spices and you can buy different box-packs of them. My bro sent me the hot one. Wow.
I'll add a third for Penzey's. I went to their store in the Chicago area (Naperville) to check it out. The place smelled great! They have sooo many herbs and spices in the store, including a lot that I had never heard of. There is a sample of each item in a glass jar so you can smell it and even taste a little (I just poured a pinch into my palm). I bought a bunch of stuff including two of their pre-mixed rubs (All-American BBQ Rub and thier Rib Rub).

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #39
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

I've said it before www.penderys.com for spices! The chile's, salt's, lime powder, and chili powders are top rate!
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote