The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
walrus79
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default BBQ Jamboree in Fredericksburg, is this normal?

Though we're a relatively new team (3 kcbs events), some of the things that are happening for the BBQ Jamboree seem odd and wondered if other teams were having similar issues or questions as us.

First, what time is the cooks meeting? I've seen 11:00am and 1:00pm Friday posted on their web site.

Secondly, is this time odd? It seems as though many teams travel on Friday morning and arrive and set up when they can, typically in the afternoon, late afternoon or early evening.

Thirdly, we're required to do a supplied pork People's Choice for the public. Because of this we've had to jump through hoops to fill out lot's of paperwork from the health inspector and now purchase some extra food safety equipment (minor stuff, but an extra trip to RD). They've asked the health inspector to be done inspecting us by 11:00am Friday. There's simply no way my team can be onsite and set up at that time even though we're local. The inspector said they didn't need to inspect us if we weren't serving to the public (Guess they don't care if we poison judges), but we've told the PC is required.

Lastly, are some of these things normal? Like, I said, we've only done three comps, but we didn't have to jump through any hoops like this. Thank god it's the closest one to our homebase!

Any and all information is appreciated, I'm sure it will all work out, but any feedback would be welcomed. The organizer has been good about communication and the inspector was very nice. This is not a rant about them, just some of the timing/logisitics issues that seem to be way different than most comps...I could also be way off base here, so don't be afraid to put me in my place brethren. Thanks

Unread 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
walrus79
Knows what a fatty is.

Health inspector called back and they're doing two shifts of inspections, 9-11:00am and 2-4:00pm. This helps big time...now just have to get a teammate to the 11:00am (which the H.I. confirmed) cook's meeting! It will all work out and we're looking forward to it and meeting more teams!

Unread 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not nearly as seasoned as some of the other cooks in here, I have cooked several competitions, and in my experience:

11:00 seems quite early to me to be having a cooks' meeting. I may have been to one as early as 13:00 before, but I don't think before noon.

I've been to events where PC was strongly requested and others where ancillaries are "required." I may have been to one or two where PC was required, but it would be the exception in my experience.

Btw, who pays for your HD license? You or the organizer? Have you asked the organizer what repercussions they would take if you don't cook PC? Tell him you don't have cooker space. It might make life easier for you to refuse if you just don't care....

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
walrus79
Knows what a fatty is.

The event is paying the $40 fee for all the teams. We don't mind doing it and dealing with the extra requirements, we're just making sure we have the folks on hand for all the meetings, inspections, etc...

Unread 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

It will be interesting hearing the feedback from the teams that cook this contest. Load in time being cut off at noon Friday, basically forcing the teams that travel to come in on Thursday night. Cook meeting at 1:00pm Friday seems early. The free samples etc to the public would be a pain to deal with.
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
walrus79
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah, the more I think about this and discuss with my teammates, it's going to be a PITA. I have to imagine we're not the only team having to make unusual plans for this one!

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
QueNivorous
On the road to being a farker

None of it seems "normal" to me but I guess an organizer has a lot of lattitude on these things. Then again, teams have a lot of choices, too. Cook the events that look appealing and pass on those that look like they will be a PITA.

Jambo J-3, Jambo Backyard, Backwoods Party, Backwoods Chubby, Custom Offset, WSM, and a Primo Oval XL.
QueNivorous is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

This one is our 1st comp, so it is all new to us. I thought 11am was pretty early too, but too much of a newb to question it.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I would pass on this contest. Or just not do pc. Oops wasn't cooked in time and couldn't serve it. Ii'd love to her what the hd inspects. Be sure to have bleach test strips.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep. If I were a paying contestant, I always refuse the Friday Night PC. It's a PIA. If it were required, I'd go elsewhere.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

I just got a call from the health department for this event and if you have an RV (like my team) no food handeling or dish washing can be done in the RV so you must bring a full 3 tub dish washing station and an outside hand washing station.

If it was not too late to back out of this nightmare I would!!!!!!!!!! Never again!!!!!!!!

Unread 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
rexbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I was going to do this one until I saw all of the hoops. So I decided to do naptown.

Rex's Red Hot BBQ
http://www.savoryreviews.com

KCBS & MABA Member
Black Thermapen and Backup Blue Thermapen!
Superior SS1, Traeger Lil Tex, Weber OTS, Weber Spirit
rexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbbq View Post
I was going to do this one until I saw all of the hoops. So I decided to do naptown.
That is where I will be next year.

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

I thought BBQ contests were supposed to be fun! This has Goat Rodeo written all over it!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork View Post
I thought BBQ contests were supposed to be fun! This has Goat Rodeo written all over it!
Giant Cluster Fark so far, but this being my first comp ever it has only got to get better from here.