The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default spatchcock yardbird with oakridge game changer

just a little cook i did on sunday for my wife's co-worker. she's been craving BBQ chicken.

i spatchcocked a bell and evans chicken. this was my first time, needed a bit of help to get it done, but turned out pretty well.

Attachment 63882

then i mixed up some oakridge gamechanger and poured it into the bowl with the chicken after it had cooled to 40* in the freezer.

Attachment 63883

let it sit in there for 4 hours in the fridge, rinsed, and sprinkled with oakridge secret weapon. i put it under the skin and on. i was using my left hand to sprinkle and wound up putting waaay too much on the surface, you'll see the results of that in the last pic. not ideal but alas, it'll still be tasty.

Attachment 63884

onto the kettle indirect @ 325* with a small chunk of applewood.

Attachment 63885

i expected @ 1.5 hour cook time so i checked it a little before the hour mark. thigh was 185*!!!! crap. i was shooting for 150*. another thing to pay closer attention to in the future.

anyway, i sauced with some blues hog smoky mountain and TR. and let that set for @ 5 minutes and pulled it off to rest.
you can see where the excess rub built up into blobs on the surface. not the nice laquered finish i was shooting for, but again, still it'll be tasty.

Attachment 63887

i sliced a small peice off to test and to my surprise it was not dry and stringy, but tender, flavorful, and , moist. i think they'll have a nice lunch today.

*edit* how do i remove this pic? vvvvv it doesn't appear in the post when i go to edit.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 02-04-2013 at 09:25 AM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
kcmike
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks Great! I'm always heay-handed when it comes to applying the rub, and yours doesn't look out of hand at all. Thanks for giving our new brine a try!

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22˝" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
22˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Good job! With a whole bird, you're usually going to want your thigh temp to be a good 15-20 degrees higher than your breast temp, so 185 on the thigh really isn't bad..it's actually just about right. Glad you enjoyed it!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post

*edit* how do i remove this pic? vvvvv it doesn't appear in the post when i go to edit.
It should show up as an attachment. Edit the post then go to the advanced editor and then look below the post and there should be a place to manage attachments.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

thanks ronelle, i tried that but the image doesn't appear either in the post or below in the manage attatchments.

odd.

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Kind of amazing that even when a cook gets away from you it's still pretty dang good and better than what you'll get in a lot of other places. I've used the GC brine the past couple of weekends with great results!

Thanks for posting and good luck killing that zombie chicken pic!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks great!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

looks amazing! I really like the 1/2 cup of EVO combined with 1/2 cup of Secret Weapon and let it marinate in that for an hour, after it has been brined for an hour.

I placed my order for more brine and Secret Weapon last night!!!!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

thanks guys. the first review is in.

my wife head down and shaking in the no-no-no fashion of someone ashamed but admitting what they done fashion because she ate too much.

"it was rrreally good, rreally good"

the girl knows good bird, cooks and eats prolly 2 whole ones a week and doesn't particularly care for bbq'ed and sometimes even peels the skin off.

but i have to hand it to oakridge game changer, the meat must've been fantastic for that moment of confession and praise.

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

That yardbird sure looks good from over here on the left coast!

"Brown it's cookin', Black it's done"....................Dad.
Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote