The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #76
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

If you didn't tell me what it was and just handed me an already made taco, I'd tear it up!!!

You did a great job from the looks of it!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #77
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Ignorance is bliss in this case. Just hand me a taco and don't tell me where it came from!

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #78
JediDog
is one Smokin' Farker

Tacos de cabeza, oh man you did an excellent job.
JediDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #79
snook806
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyokie View Post
I Have never done a cow head but have always wanted to try one... I am gonna call my local butcher and see if I can come up with one and give it a try.. Snook, I didnt look in the thread can you tell me your step by step I have got to give this a try.
Well I first loaded the UDS with kingsford and used hickory chunks for this cook. then you cut out the tongue off and set it aside. in my case there was an opening on the top of the skull so that the brains could be removed after cooking but if there is not just make one then season the chit out of the cows head with whatever you like (in my case i used texas bbq rub). I then placed the head in a disposable aluminum pan and loosely wrapped it with foil so that smoke could creep inside. then season the chit out of the tongue and wrap in foil the same way as the head. i set the iQue for 225 for the first 10 hours and set it at 250 for the remaining 8 hours. Once it was at the 13 or 14 hour mark, I checked it with a thermometer but decided to let it get to 195 internal. at the 17 hour 30 min. mark I checked it again and some parts were 195 and others were higher. let it rest then pull the meat apart and mix it together. but set the eyes aside for you (pit master privilege)...they are DELICIOUS.......when I make another one, I might just leave it at 225 but let it go for a few more hours..I cant wait to make another cows head..just got out of work and gonna have left over barbacoa tacos...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......this was my first time making a whole head so I'm no expert by any means but it turned out great in my opinion .......hope this helped

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #80
McGG
Knows what a fatty is.

Just to clarify...do people eat the brains?

I wouldn't eat brains of any animal...not due to an aversion, but rather due to the issue of prions.
McGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #81
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGG View Post
Just to clarify...do people eat the brains?

I wouldn't eat brains of any animal...not due to an aversion, but rather due to the issue of prions.
Yep. I eat hog brains all the time.

That cows head looks awesome!!! I grew up in Zapata, TX, you just can't get any closer to the border. My neighbor was an elderly hispanic lady. Every once in awhile she and her friends would get together and make hogs head and/or beef head tamales. My Spanish was bad, and her english was worse, but somehow we managed to communicate. She would always bring me a small sack full of tamales. They were soooo goood!

My name is Monty, dad, or grandpa...depending on who you are.
WvSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote