The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #31
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotero View Post
Bob Brisket;

Thanks for coming to the rescue, I understand that most people haven't been exposed to "barbacoa en pozo"

But eventhough, I don't care for brains, (never developed the taste for the bland and pasty stuff), when it comes to the eye, you took the words from my mouth, -marrow-, but I would call it "marrow on steroids" when it comes to flavor.

JV
There are some threads on the forum about that type of cooking. Funny, I had posted some youtube links in this thread and kinda of took it off topic, but there are some awesome vids that showcase this type of cooking. Looking at em took ME WAY back in time. Brought back some strong memories of my grandfather. I was pretty much always there with him from the beginning when we made barbacoa, from the slaughter to the plate so to speak. He brought the tradition and knowledge with him from Mexico and showed it to his kids and grandkids. Seems that only my dad and I have kept it going. There are some good vids here. This is old school. Cooks like this involved ENTIRE communities. Shows the culture and the origins too.

The brains we treat like scrammbled eggs. Mix with some meat kinda like a machaca and then some pico de gallo. Good stuff! I love seeing this type of cooking being done and kept alive.
The "pencas de maguey" they talk about are basically agave cactus. The goat cook in the thread was a 24 hour cook time. That is one SERIOUS pit. I've never seen one that big!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #32
vhram
Full Fledged Farker

That first pic is quite the pic. I think my guests would make a run for the door if they saw that on the counter. Cant wait for the finished product. I have heard it tastes great.
vhram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
snook806
On the road to being a farker

Well after the 17 hr 30 min. mark, the internal temp. on the brains, tongue and cheek are 190 so I closed off the vents and gonna pull it from pit once it reaches 195 (just to be on the safe side)....it looks and smells DELICIOUS....dinner is gonna be AWESOME..... will post more pics when I'm pulling the meat from the head.....stay tuned and let me know what you think.....

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

OH YEAH!!!!! Looks done! Pass me a tortilla and the salsa. Man, you done good!
That gets hit several times on a Sunday!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #35
vhram
Full Fledged Farker

Thats looking good now. When you prep it do you cut a hole for the brains or just shake it out when done?
vhram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #36
Nomo4me

If one can be 'squeamish', I'm the one over here in the corner 'squeaming'.

I'm a wuss with any kind of organ meat.

That said, my very favorite cut of beef is the shank.
Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm starting to think that the barbacoa that you get at Chipotle is not authentic.

I was willing to try it until I started to hear eyes and brain... City boy!@ I don't know...

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #38
snook806

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhram View Post
Thats looking good now. When you prep it do you cut a hole for the brains or just shake it out when done?
When I prepped it, I did not cut a hole for the brains as this was my first time to cook the entire head..it is resting now and I will figure out how to get the brains out while I'm tearing the meat from the head.....stay tuned..the warden will take pics

Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #39
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

waiting for more pics
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #40
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

The barbacoa at chipotle is most likely made of beef clod. Which is very good on it's own, but not the same as whole beef head barbacoa. A different texture. The real deal is like eating beef flavored butter.

Once or twice a year, I'll get a chipotle barbacoa burrito with no ill effects, but I don't miss them once they are gone.

Down here, there are many authentic Mexican food trucks that serve up all the real deal stuff from lengua to barbacoa and everything inbetween. It's a rush eating the real deal that's been properly prepared.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #41
Wampus

Wife and kids are totally grossed out, but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out! My 12yo saw the first post and was turned off....

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #42
SDAR
Babbling Farker

I like BBQ, but I'm probably with the kids on this one.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #43
gtr

Looks interesting - I wouldn't mind trying that at all.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #44
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Cabeza is awesome.

I love lamb head too.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
snook806

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
I like BBQ, but I'm probably with the kids on this one.
The warden is preparing the tacos but you have to try it before you knock it....ask anybody who lives close to the border....it's farking DELICIOUS.