The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
kwas68
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sliced Pork

I'm wondering how sliced pork including the money muscle, however not exclusively money muscle, would be received by the judges. The proposed slice would have three lobes (money muscle in the center) in cross-section and a flat/cut bottom. Reference watertower's post here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=34340&page=3

I have a hard time finding butts with a substantial money muscle and I have not become adept at trimming it out. The other lobes are just as delicious IMO so I don't see the harm unless it falls apart. I'm thinking "more is more."

I've reviewed submissions at bbqcritic and noticed that a fair number of people take this approach and have not been criticized for it. Just want to make sure before I do the same.

Your thoughts?

Unread 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Excellent question!

Well, I for one, would never 'count down' an entry for not using the 'money muscle'.

As long as it's pork and you can get it to actually taste like pork - well, you're far ahead of most of the teams out there looking to cook pork!

And by that I mean . . . do not attempt to make your pork taste like beef roast. (Had that happen just today.) and do NOT try to make your pork taste like chicken (also had that happen today) and MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL . . . do not try to make your pork taste like OYSTERS!!!! Yuck! (Didn't have that happen today, but I wake up in cold sweats from time to time remembering that trauma!)

:-)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Regionality might play a factor in here. Before Pitmasters a few years ago, in this region we'd RARELY see sliced come across the table and rarer still would it be worth a darn. That said, I'm in the deeeeep south where sliced historically brings up images (for those of us eating barbecue [pork] for many years) of undercooked and fatty pork. Your region could be very different and not be subject to those biases. I think it's possible, but be careful to make sure that all the fat has rendered and that the meat isn't a little tough.

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been trying to find resources and sliced pork prep info, tough to find, trial and error. I want to use the money muscle this year but the injections are coming up too salty or over seasoned tasting, I may just marinade a little bit and try it this week.

Unread 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

We had several entries at the Frostbuster this weekend, and for myself I was tickled to see them!!
They were "OH SOOO GOOD"
Ed
Rendered fat is the key....
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

Doesn't need to be MM, it needs to look so good I want more and of course taste just as good
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

For those other muscles sauce thin and applied 2 or 3 times can be your friend. Sauce needs to be thin and hot. Over the last 6 months I've had a number of 2nd place calls doing this. Getting first here in FL is tough with so many excellent pork cooks.