ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default article 15 KCBS sanction app.

anybody know what that is?

just curious.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Curiosity got the better of me.

"15. I will use best possible efforts to donate to KCBS one free entry for a team, which will be used to promote our contest at the annual banquet and as part of the KCBS events at the banquet."

Is this what you were refering to? Looks pretty self explanitory.
It's on the KCBS site under "forms"
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

yes, that was it. after re-reading a couple times, though the wording is wonky, i think i understand what it means.

"i will donate to a team an entry to the KCBS banquet to represent...."

Unread 04-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

i know i will probably get lit up for this.. and maybe its just left over from the somewhat bad taste in my mouth from the mess with the AR as well as other stuff...

but an organizer pays...
350 bucks to get listed....
then $12 or $17 bucks per team... 50 team event.. $600/$850
plus 100 bucks per catagory over 4
plus reps expenses and a per diem

Sanctioning fees can run close to $1500 if not more for a 50 team event.

and on top of all that, they also want organizers to 'donate' a $200-$300, maybe $350 spot. That $$ comes out of the prize pool, or the contests funds. How about to be fair.. they reduce the sanctioning fee by one spot(or at least discount it) in return for an entry?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

maybe i don't understand.

to what event is the organizer to do his/her best to donate an entry?

i assumed it was the annual banquet; does that entry flucuate in price?

really not looking to incite or flame, or "start up", just honestly curious.

Unread 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

KCBS wants an organizer to donate an entry to the organizers event the following year so the KCBS can auction it off at the banquet.

I'm with the PooBah on this one. But you left one little thing out, the KCBS makes money from the entry being auctioned too.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i did not, then, understand.

sorry, i'm still green.

thanks for clarifying.

*edit* now i understand phil's post.

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
KCBS makes money from the entry being auctioned too.
I'm probably wrong here, but I thought the proceeds from the auctioned contest entries went to Kookers Kare, not KCBS.

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedelic View Post
I'm probably wrong here, but I thought the proceeds from the auctioned contest entries went to Kookers Kare, not KCBS.
if that's true it's a shame it is not more well known.

Unread 04-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedelic View Post
Speaking solely for myself, and not KCBS or the board...

I believe you are correct, and will confirm as soon as the office is open this morning.

I understand Phil's point as well. The fee structure for additional teams declines, as more teams are added. That info is available online in the organizers packet for those that would like to review it. I'll also point out that in the event that a contest adds 3-4 ancillary/additional categories they are essentially running two contests based on the potential number of turn ins. If that is spread over two days, traditionally Sat.-Sun. in the NE expenses to the organizer for Rep per diem and lodging etc. go up. KCBS never sees a nickel of that.

It's not my intent to light Phil up He's raised this issue with me privately, before, and that courtesy was appreciated. My response was that I'd be happy to look at alternatives if he could propose some that wouldn't be dead on arrival. It's important to me, but at the moment I have other issues on my plate that need attention first.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i know i will probably get lit up for this.. and maybe its just left over from the somewhat bad taste in my mouth from the mess with the AR as well as other stuff...

but an organizer pays...
350 bucks to get listed....
then $12 or $17 bucks per team... 50 team event.. $600/$850
plus 100 bucks per catagory over 4
plus reps expenses and a per diem

Sanctioning fees can run close to $1500 if not more for a 50 team event.

and on top of all that, they also want organizers to 'donate' a $200-$300, maybe $350 spot. That $$ comes out of the prize pool, or the contests funds. How about to be fair.. they reduce the sanctioning fee by one spot(or at least discount it) in return for an entry?

Maybe if these were donated entries were really respected and created new teams attending the contests it would be a good thing.

But anybody who has seen the raffle and ensuing frenzy of teams trading and low balling to get a deal on the entry for a contest THAT THEY WERE GOING TO ANYWAY knows that it's little more than a fundraiser. KCBS used to keep the money. If it now goes to Kookers Kare it should be promoted eas such.

If I were an organizer I would decline and use the donation within my own world.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Maybe if these were donated entries were really respected and created new teams attending the contests it would be a good thing.

But anybody who has seen the raffle and ensuing frenzy of teams trading and low balling to get a deal on the entry for a contest THAT THEY WERE GOING TO ANYWAY knows that it's little more than a fundraiser. KCBS used to keep the money. If it now goes to Kookers Kare it should be promoted eas such.

If I were an organizer I would decline and use the donation within my own world.
I agree with Ray and Phil. Either announce that all proceeds go to Kookers Kare, or get rid of the item on the application.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Does the event "donating" the entry also have to pay the KCBS fees on that team for the competition, or does KCBS "donate" that part of it back?
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

The proceeds from the KCBS raffles DO NOT go to Kookers Kare...it ALL goes to KCBS. Kookers Kare has its own banquet and have thier own donated entries that do go to their causes. KCBS and Kookers Kare are completely separate organizations. That being said, KCBS does help Kookers Kare just like they help other not-for-profit organizations.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
The proceeds from the KCBS raffles DO NOT go to Kookers Kare...it ALL goes to KCBS. Kookers Kare has its own banquet and have thier own donated entries that do go to their causes. KCBS and Kookers Kare are completely separate organizations. That being said, KCBS does help Kookers Kare just like they help other not-for-profit organizations.
MoKan Wayn is correct. What I was remembering was the gift basket raffle for Kookers Kare, that used to happen at the banquet before the KCBS banquet began to travel.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->