ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Grass fed and finished brisket

I'm looking for some packer briskets for comps. The only supplier in my area is Wal Mart. Sam's, BJ's, Costco, and everywhere else around me only have flats. Restaurant Depot is about two hours away(and I have never tried them since I just recently just got my KCBS membership). I have found a local farmer who sells his meat to local butchers and suppliers. He has grass fed and finished beef. I have been talking to him about supplying me with meat(he also has pork and chicken) but his prices are not cheap. With a discount, I am still looking at about $6/pound for packer briskets. Thats about $80 for one packer.

I haven't tried his brisket yet, but think I might try it atleast once. Has anyone used this type of beef for comps or just to cook? He raves about the quality and leanness of the beef, but $6/pound is still pretty high.

Anybody have any experience I can draw from. thanks for any info.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

Grass fed is a different flavor profile. I have a guy near me that raises grass fed Black Angus cattle and I have tried it, one good thing is it is wsell marbled. The only downsize was that the flats were very thin.
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I love thast kind of beef, I buy mine from a rancher in Humboldt County. But, I would not compete with it. It has a distinct taste, unless you can get stuff from Oregon, it is not at all like what most folks expect from beef.

Yes, you can get it tender, it will even be juicy, but, it will not be a winner unless you live where folks don't like corn-finished beef. I assume there is such a place. Man, $6 a poung for a packer is gonna run into some money. I gotta believe if you plan the trip right and make sure there are packers, RD is a better bet.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

If your lookin at droppin $80 on a brisket... Might as well take a look at some proven briskets at snake river farms... http://store.snakeriverfarms.com/com...bq-collection/

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 1

I don't do comp, but I go to RD (in Kansas City) for my butts. Their briskets never looked that good to me.

Jim - KCBS CBJ

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | Packer Green Thermapen | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | Green Bay Packer UDS
Porcine Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i second snake river farms

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
va92bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain P.J. View Post
If your lookin at droppin $80 on a brisket... Might as well take a look at some proven briskets at snake river farms... http://store.snakeriverfarms.com/com...bq-collection/
Ya I looked at snake river too. Would be more with shipping, but it is established. Guy was really pumped about us using him. Almost feel guilty not to use him.

Unread 04-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
AZScott
Take a breath!

I would go to RD with a big cooler, pick the ones you like (they will open cases for you), age them and learn to cook them. RD briskets can and do win all the time. Mail order briskets are a gamble since you have no clue what you are going to get. I purchased 10 SRF briskets and will never do so again unless they sponsored us with free briskets.

Unread 04-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Why not ask a local grocer to get you some packers. Or a local BBQ joint. I live a hour from any city instead of driving I get my ribs from a local BBQ and a week before a contest till the manager at the grocery I need brisket and butts. I get there when they come in pick what I want and even get a discount. I even have him get me a case of parsley while I'm at it.

Unread 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Grain-fed briskets all the way, 100% of the time for comps. That's just my opinion. Grass fed usually equals less fat in my experience. Fat is flavor in brisket and especially in a competition setting.

I've never personally cooked Wagyu, but have heard some great things from competitors that have used it on the West Coast.

Oh yeah, on another note. There are some really good teams out there only using the flat. It's pricier than the whole packer per lb, but apparently it works.

Unread 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Im pretty sure pure grass fed beef results in less marbling not more. I know a couple farmers who raise cattle and and they usually grassfeed then they introduce a little grain into their diets toward the end to get a little more fat and marbling. Im no cattle farmer so im just going by what they said
I will say this though..I buy beef from them regularly and its near prime
Brinkmann Cimmarron Offset
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
va92bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitnfat View Post
Why not ask a local grocer to get you some packers. Or a local BBQ joint. I live a hour from any city instead of driving I get my ribs from a local BBQ and a week before a contest till the manager at the grocery I need brisket and butts. I get there when they come in pick what I want and even get a discount. I even have him get me a case of parsley while I'm at it.
I've asked, but most say they can only get flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Oh yeah, on another note. There are some really good teams out there only using the flat. It's pricier than the whole packer per lb, but apparently it works.
I've only done packers, and only one at that. With my limited experience, I feel alittle more comfortable with the packer since the margin of error are larger. From what I have read, the larger mass and more fat allows for more room for mistakes. Minor mistakes in timing at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
Im pretty sure pure grass fed beef results in less marbling not more. I know a couple farmers who raise cattle and and they usually grassfeed then they introduce a little grain into their diets toward the end to get a little more fat and marbling. Im no cattle farmer so im just going by what they said
I will say this though..I buy beef from them regularly and its near prime
I need to do some more research on this grass fed and finish beef. I might have walked into a situation where it will not work for my application. I'm sure it is great for steaks, but for brisket it might not be worth it. I will still try it atleast once.

Unread 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing wrong with flats I cook 6lb ones

Unread 04-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
va92bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitnfat View Post
Nothing wrong with flats I cook 6lb ones
Oh I know lots of teams win with just cooking flats. I am just not confident enough to try it in a comp yet.

Unread 04-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Grass fed is a leaner beef. That's great if you are making filet migon, but not so great when you are trying to keep a big piece of meat moist for 12 hours in smoker.

Frankly, a lot of people rave about grass fed because it implies a more naturally raised product. Mass market beef is "finished" in large grain feed lots just before slaughtering, and that rubs some people the wrong way. The meat producers do that because grain feeding adds more marbling to the meat, and USDA grading is based strictly upon marbling.

As a competition cook, you should be concerned about taste. Many people think grain fed or grain finished simply tastes better.

Premium brands like Snake River Farms and Niman Ranch use grain finishing, which should tell you something. It's not just a trick the mass market producers use, there is a benefit to the final product.

The RD "Superior" brand states one of it's requirements is that the beef be grain finished.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->