The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: If you were going to pic one, which one would it be?
Weber Smokey Joe SILVER 1 11.11%
Weber Smokey Joe GOLD 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Weber Smokey Joe Silver vs. Smokey Joe Gold

Thinking about buying a Weber Smokey Joe. All I have seen are the pictures on line. In the Gold picture it doesn’t look like it has an ash pan. It does have a handle that locks the lid on and also works as a lid holder. I wanted to know if there are any other differences, any pros and cons between the two. If you had to pick, why would you buy the Silver or the Gold?

Smokey Joe Silver

Smokey Joe Gold

Unread 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Greg1911
On the road to being a farker

I bought both.

The Silver works like a mini kettle since that is what it is. The gold has airflow issues which disappear when used as a base for a miniWSM smoker. It also holds more ash.

I moved the gold's locking lid and handle over to the silver. Best overall unit IMHO.
Greg1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

I bought an old SJ at the flea market two weeks ago for $5. It is an N code (1991?) with wooden handles. I just finished cleaning her up, time to do a cook on it!

Unread 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Greg. The silver has the ash pan because the vent is centered on the bottom. That allows airflow directly to the coals, making it better for hot and fast grilling. However, it necessitates the ash catcher because the ash falls directly on, thus through, the vent. The gold has 2 vents higher up on the sides, making it the perfect candidate for the base of a mini wsm, since you don't have the ashes building up and clogging the vent on a low and slow smoke. It doesn't have an ash pan because there are no openings in the bottom, so no ashes fall through.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
zwylde1
Full Fledged Farker

I went with the Gold model as I also wanted to use it to make a mini WSM out of it. Have no issues at all with it airflow wise when just doing cooks on it as well.

[FONT=Arial Black]Of everything I have lost in this life...I miss my mind the most![/FONT]
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Smokey Joe Silver vs Gold