The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Parsley Question

Was wondering about parsley used in the turn in boxes. I have noticed with our practice boxes that the parsley sticks to the food. Does that matter and if so is there a good way to minimise the amount that does stick. Thanks everyone.
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Speaking as a judge,there are few things I dislike more than having to spend one of my precious minutes pulling tiny little chunks of parsley from six pieces of meat with my already sticky fingers before starting the judging process.
It is discussed between judges at tables all over they country. That being said it is what it is, part of the process I guess.
As a cook, I use curly leaf lettuce.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

No...it does not matter...judges are instructed to remove any garnish before tasting. If you pack the parsley tight enough (putting green box) you will minimize what attaches to the meat.
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Speaking as a judge,there are few things I dislike more than having to spend one of my precious minutes pulling tiny little chunks of parsley from six pieces of meat with my already sticky fingers before starting the judging process.
It is discussed between judges at tables all over they country. That being said it is what it is, part of the process I guess.
As a cook, I use curly leaf lettuce.
Ed
With the lettuce, do you find you have any issues with drippings pooling or anything like that? One of the reasons I elected to use parsley ( besides that it is listed as one of the items you can use for turn in ) is that I have heard from some folks, that they had issues with say grease pooling underneath the food, etc. Just wondering how you deal with that, if you were to use lettuce.
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpetro97 View Post
With the lettuce, do you find you have any issues with drippings pooling or anything like that? One of the reasons I elected to use parsley ( besides that it is listed as one of the items you can use for turn in ) is that I have heard from some folks, that they had issues with say grease pooling underneath the food, etc. Just wondering how you deal with that, if you were to use lettuce.

I never was aware of any such problems. I tend to sauce lightly as a lot of judges think poorly of oversauced entries. I would say curly leaf is used on pry a third of the boxes.
Next time you do practice boxes use curly leaf and check for those problems after letting it set for 15 min.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

A CBJ judge is not supposed to judge the garnish and is instructed to not judge it. The only thing we are looking for is illegal garnish (as far as garnish goes). Garnish that covers the meat will impact your score only
In that we cannot see what we want to see. During the appearance portion we cannot touch the meat so what we see is what we judge.
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun
jketron is online now   Reply With Quote