The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Injection question

Hi all. I'm new top the competition circuit and was curious as to how early to do you inject your big meats? Right after meat inspection? Right before going on cooker? Somewhere in between? Thanks!

[COLOR=blue]Extremely Durable, Fast and Amazingly Accurate Maverick Pro Temp PT-100 Thermometer & ET-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Found new homes: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Modded Brinkmann SNP(it's finally holding temp!), 18.5" Weber kettle[/COLOR]
Bbqin fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
CMALANGA
On the road to being a farker

We've done as much as 12 hours and more recently as little as 5 hours. Because my injection ingriedients were not consistent I can't say whther one was better than the other. I can our greatest success to date came with only a 5 hour marinading time. My experience level though is equal to or just above yours, so I'm by no means an accomplished compeition cook.
26" Weber Kettle
22.5" Weber Kettle
Large BGE
CMALANGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I inject, then apply the rub, then go light the fire, so it's about 1 hour ahead of time...

Unread 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i would have to say it depends on the product your using and how your cooking.

but for me, i cook the big meats overnight and i inject @ 6-8 hours before cooking.

you could probably do more or less and be fine, but i like to just get sh*t done and out of the way.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Parts_Guy

For us, we had been injecting our pork 6-8 hours ahead of time. The last contest was our best placing and we did it 2-3 hours ahead of time.

Unread 04-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Jeffp

I like to do it at least 4 hours but usually shoot for 6.

Unread 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

I get my meat inspected ASAP and get started on trimming, injecting and rubbing the big meats right away. The longer the flavorings have to be in contact with the meat, the better IMO. Chicken and ribs are a different story since the flavors don't need to penetrate as deep (hehe...penetrate..), but I like the big meats to sit in that flavor as long as possible.