The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Dixie Meat Rub

A while back, Michael was offering some free samples of his Competition Pork Rib and Competition Beef Rub. Not being one to pass up a good deal, I of course had to ask for some.
We've been super busy at work lately and I have just not had the time to smoke any meat, so the samples went unused. Until, that is, this past weekend. The local Winn-Dixie grocery had some cryo-vac 2-packs of ribs on sale, so how could I resist? I used some mustard for a base and then coated the two slabs with the Competition Pork Rub, fired up the UDS and cooked them at 240-250 using a 1:45/:50/:45. The ribs were plenty moist when I foiled them, so I didn't use any spritz. Okay, okay, I forgot the spritz, so sue me! The ribs were served with mixed veggies and some Hoppin' John cooked with Videlia onions.
I have to say that this rub, while it didn't impart a strong flavor, gave a nice, smooth taste without being overpowering at all. Actually, you hardly noticed there was a rub on the ribs at all, but the ribs had such a good flavor that it was hard to stop eating them. I suppose that's the mark of a good rub and is a lot of testimony all by itself. Now I'm anxious to try the Competition Beef Rub sample!
I also discovered a new favorite store bought BBQ sauce! The same grocery had some "Garland Jack's Secret Six" sauce on sale, buy one, get one free. I got some of the "Squealing Hot" flavor and liked it so much that I went back the next day and bought the rest of what they had left on the shelf, which was only a few bottles. It wasn't really hot, but it did have a great flavor when used as a dipping sauce and there was just a hint of heat. Sorry Sweet Baby Ray's, but you've been at least temporarily replaced by Garland Jack's Secret Six.
A Stok Tower grill
And, a gasser for the quick and dirty.
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly-one View Post
I have to say that this rub, while it didn't impart a strong flavor, gave a nice, smooth taste without being overpowering at all. Actually, you hardly noticed there was a rub on the ribs at all, but the ribs had such a good flavor that it was hard to stop eating them. I suppose that's the mark of a good rub and is a lot of testimony all by itself.
Can't ask for a better review than that.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
frohe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Actually, you hardly noticed there was a rub on the ribs at all, but the ribs had such a good flavor that it was hard to stop eating them. I suppose that's the mark of a good rub and is a lot of testimony all by itself.
A good rub should enhance the taste of the meat it's on, not dominate the taste. Seems you found a winner.

Unread 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
HawgNationBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
A while back, Michael was offering some free samples of his Competition Pork Rib and Competition Beef Rub. Not being one to pass up a good deal, I of course had to ask for some.
We've been super busy at work lately and I have just not had the time to smoke any meat, so the samples went unused. Until, that is, this past weekend. The local Winn-Dixie grocery had some cryo-vac 2-packs of ribs on sale, so how could I resist? I used some mustard for a base and then coated the two slabs with the Competition Pork Rub, fired up the UDS and cooked them at 240-250 using a 1:45/:50/:45. The ribs were plenty moist when I foiled them, so I didn't use any spritz. Okay, okay, I forgot the spritz, so sue me! The ribs were served with mixed veggies and some Hoppin' John cooked with Videlia onions.
I have to say that this rub, while it didn't impart a strong flavor, gave a nice, smooth taste without being overpowering at all. Actually, you hardly noticed there was a rub on the ribs at all, but the ribs had such a good flavor that it was hard to stop eating them. I suppose that's the mark of a good rub and is a lot of testimony all by itself. Now I'm anxious to try the Competition Beef Rub sample!
I also discovered a new favorite store bought BBQ sauce! The same grocery had some "Garland Jack's Secret Six" sauce on sale, buy one, get one free. I got some of the "Squealing Hot" flavor and liked it so much that I went back the next day and bought the rest of what they had left on the shelf, which was only a few bottles. It wasn't really hot, but it did have a great flavor when used as a dipping sauce and there was just a hint of heat. Sorry Sweet Baby Ray's, but you've been at least temporarily replaced by Garland Jack's Secret Six.
Thank you guys for the awesome feedback. As I mentioned, it took me almost three years to get to this point. I know they won’t appeal to everyone, but there is a lot of love and high-end ingredients in both of the rubs. Based on other feedback, I now have a 5lb bulk competitor bags for sale at the website. Thanks you again.
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

All I can say is that you did a great job with your rubs, Michael!
A Stok Tower grill
And, a gasser for the quick and dirty.
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 1

I too took advantage of this product give away. I used it in two ways. I had about 3 lbs of ground pork that I basically used half of this on. I mixed it in along with some fresh garlic and some fresh ground black pepper corns and it made the best summer sausage I have ever had.. then I used the second half on a rack of baby backs and it killed there also. I need to order a supply of this it is really a nice top rung rub. thanks for your hospitality...

Jim Boston
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Future Smoker
$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!!

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote