ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I'd rather be able to see the disclosures. That is way more telling of who has the magic keys.
I'd like to see the 1099s.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

The city council where I live have these same issues and the more they say they aren't hiding anything their actions sure reflect otherwise. It is human nature to want what you can have, and when humans don't get that then they assume the worst, and until shown otherwise they won't believe anything else. If this were any other organization or charity people would be mad, but to be perfectly honest, the 15k+ membership should be outraged but they aren't because most could care less because they maintain a membership so they can: be a judge, attend a CBJ class, cook a Sam's Club event, get a discount on something, get a sticker, or they are just habitual members.
I have been involved with charities and fraternal organizations that would have their members crying foul, and the board would take a look at their actions and see if what they were doing really went with the mission, and if they weren't they may change their ways.
You would never see the St. Jude's Children's Charities, MDA, Shriner's Hospital, Wounded Warrior Fund, Operation Barbeque Relief, or any other philanthropic organization work so hard to hide and conceal things. Why KCBS. I personally know a handful of the BOD members and I would say that the one's I speak with actually welcome transparency and an open organization.
I love barbeque, the people, and the fellowship but that one evening back in the fall of 1985 I would guess that nobody ever imagined the size and magnitude of the KCBS or the influence it would have on barbeque nor would they have thought that keeping members informed and apprised of happenings would need to be so covert.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

(5) Ayes: Arlie Bragg, Dave Compton, George Mullins, Steve Farrin, Jeff Stith
(6) Noes: Mike Budai, Randy Bigler, Tana Shupe, Mark Simmons, Paul Kirk, Candy Weaver
(1) Abstained: Mike Lake

I think your gonna see alot of this KC......BS

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

The closed sessions should continue to be recorded and archived indefinably. Convert them to mp3 and store them. The KCBS board should be held responsible for every decision they make in open or closed sessions. Without recordings, there is no proof of who did or said what. Should a questionable decision be made in a closed session and for some reason a court case ensues, a recording of the meetings would be the only real proof of what happened.
If you don't want what you said recorded, don't say it.
The archives of every meeting ever held.. open or closed.. should be kept for as long as the club exists and then some.
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #20
JimmyDAL
Full Fledged Farker

Why did Mike Lake abstain? BTW, thanks for the 4 votes for transparency I for one surely appreciate it. You can put that in the minutes.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

I finished listening to the April BOD meeting last night.....good grief. The vote on this sounded (to me), pre-orchestrated.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I finished listening to the April BOD meeting last night.....good grief. The vote on this sounded (to me), pre-orchestrated.
Ya think? LOL!
Unread 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I spoke with a board member this weekend and while he explained things from his side I am still not convinced that the new board members are in for a battle. Enough excuses about having to conceal legal, discipline, and purchasing issues and work on rules, member retention, member benefits, and barbeque!
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #24
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
My motions are tabled again for next month. Motion #3 is denied pending finalization and execution of Non-disclosure Agreements by all KCBS board members and office staff...........
As long as you brought up the Non-disclosure agreements here I have a question. Are these specifically about the Executive Session recordings or will this limit what board members can speak about in other areas?
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
I spoke with a board member this weekend and while he explained things from his side I am still not convinced that the new board members are in for a battle. Enough excuses about having to conceal legal, discipline, and purchasing issues and work on rules, member retention, member benefits, and barbeque!
Speaking solely for myself, and on KCBS or the board....

My email isn't classified. gmullins at kcbs dot us

I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you, and if you disagree you can feel free to let the world know. If YOU have concerns or issues, I'd prefer to have the opportunity to offer my opinion before you draw conclusions about my dedication or motives in public.

I get it, I'm somewhat of a public figure now and understand that criticism comes with the job. If your concerns are with my actions or lack thereof I'd think that addressing them to me first would be more effective, rather than waiting for me to make the time to read this forum and find your post.

Congrats on your election to the Iowa BBQ Society BoD. According to some friends there Iowa BBQ rules the world

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

George, I believe that you and the three other new board members have done all you can. I can't place any blame on you four guys. I just hope that you gus keep going to bat for us. The stalemate has to be irritating to say the least. I guess it is time to accept the organization for what it is. George, Jeff, Dave, & Steve, keep up the good fight and know I am not out to beat down the four of you when I know you are all doing your best!
Unread 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
George, I believe that you and the three other new board members have done all you can. I can't place any blame on you four guys. I just hope that you gus keep going to bat for us. The stalemate has to be irritating to say the least. I guess it is time to accept the organization for what it is. George, Jeff, Dave, & Steve, keep up the good fight and know I am not out to beat down the four of you when I know you are all doing your best!
Again, and I understand that some find this to be tiresome...

Speaking solely for myself, and not KCBS or the board.....

I've actually been surprised on several votes. The results were not what I expected. That has been encouraging.

I'm not directing the following at you.... I hope it doesn't become a fight or battle. There are and will be issues where there is disagreement. Some issues have been tabled so that more thought or work can be directed to an issue. If a consensus can't be reached, it's time to vote and then move on to the next issue. That's the way a board should work.

In the past that hasn't always been the case, based on meetings I've listened to. As a member, I encourage you and others to let me know what your concerns are directly. My KCBS email lands on every device I own that's capable of checking it. Let me know what's important to you, and do it as soon as possible. It benefits everyone if the opportunity is there to learn about the issue. If the issue isn't known, I can't address it.

There are things that I can't discuss, and I hope that members will understand that. Beyond that, I'll continue to do everything that I can to be as open and accessible as possible.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #28
Scottie
Babbling Farker

There was a vote that went against 'the block' the last meeting. Honestly, I believe that it was the right way to vote. I also liked it in the past when certain BOD members (who shall go nameless) weren't paying attention and would vote the wrong way. The groans were entertaining... ;)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Speaking strictly for myself, I'll say this up front:

I'm not aware of any "block" voting or having votes decided on in advance. There's going to be times that I disagree with the other new BoD members - hell, we disagreed on some stuff before we even thought about running as individuals or as a group.

And while others might or might not agree with me, I'm still in favor of some things being in executive session. The main thing to remember is that no motions are voted on in Executive Session - discussion, yes - but the voting is out front in public and recorded in the minutes.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #30
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

The portion that I thought was orchestrated was Mike Lake abstaining which leaves the President to cast the deciding vote.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote