The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #31
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Jeff, I brine all my turkeys, "pre basted" or not. At least overnight, sometimes a couple days. Never noticed too salty.

Unread 11-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #32
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

James, you mentioned using cheese cloth over the bird to keep it from getting too brown. Do you do anything with the bottom (back)of the bird? or do you not notice the dark color on the back? And do you lay the cheese cloth on the bird or acctualy wrap it around the bird?

Anyone,when you cook a bird for someone else, how do you recomend they reheat the thing? I know hot and fresh is best but I have alot of people that want one a day or two ahead of when they actualy plan on eating it.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 12:48 AM   #33
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

A couple of tips... First, I use Italian dressing doctored with Worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic for both marinade and injection. I strain the mixture, inject and let sit at least overnight as James stated. Second, I use the "Sittn' Turkey" stand filled with beer/marinade mixture.
http://www.cookschoice.com/sittin_ch...n_chicken.html
This thing is made of glazed ceramic, which cleans itself in the dishwasher. I'll be frying a turkey, and maybe smoking 2 or 3 in the new smoker. Please post pics of your birds, and thanks James for the post.
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 04:05 AM   #34
JamesB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight
James, you mentioned using cheese cloth over the bird to keep it from getting too brown. Do you do anything with the bottom (back)of the bird? or do you not notice the dark color on the back? And do you lay the cheese cloth on the bird or acctualy wrap it around the bird?

Anyone,when you cook a bird for someone else, how do you recomend they reheat the thing? I know hot and fresh is best but I have alot of people that want one a day or two ahead of when they actualy plan on eating it.
As far as the cheese cloth, I just drape it over the top of the bird. The bottom does not see much smoke residue and does not need to be protected (at least on my pits)...

As far as re-heating, I just tell 'em that if they need to re-heat, to cover the bird with a bit of foil and heat in a slow oven until warm. This will dry the bird out a bit, but with the factory injected or self brined birds they still come out pretty good...

James.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #35
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux
Second, I use the "Sittn' Turkey" stand filled with beer/marinade mixture.
http://www.cookschoice.com/sittin_ch...n_chicken.html
This thing is made of glazed ceramic, which cleans itself in the dishwasher.
Thanks Noah! That's a great idea! I just ordered a Sittin Turkey!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #36
Jeff_in_KC

BTW... I'm curious about the turkey drippings in the smoker. We always take the juice from the pan in the oven and add to either dressing or gravy for dinner. If I'm doing the sittin' turkey (beer can turkey), can an aluminum pan be placed in the regular water pan to catch some of the drippings for use in other things or will it be minimal with the can/device shoved up it's rear end?
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 11-07-2005, 08:13 AM   #37
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
BTW... I'm curious about the turkey drippings in the smoker. We always take the juice from the pan in the oven and add to either dressing or gravy for dinner. If I'm doing the sittin' turkey (beer can turkey), can an aluminum pan be placed in the regular water pan to catch some of the drippings for use in other things or will it be minimal with the can/device shoved up it's rear end?
I use an aluminum gadget like the turkey sitter - and I use the liquid IN the gadget/beer can for gravy as well as the drippings in the pan underneith

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #38
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

The Virtual Bullet has a great sounding Turkey recipe to try so here it is:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

It also has other good information

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #39
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_man22
The Virtual Bullet has a great sounding Turkey recipe to try so here it is:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

It also has other good information
I haven't done a turkey that way, but I used the brine for two yardbirds last week, and they were great. The meat had a slightly sweet flavor from the apple cider.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #40
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

This is a good use of apple juice, better then in the water pan

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #41
thillin

Going to try the par-smoked deep fried legs and thighs. Throw in the smoker for an hour, then into the hot grease.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #42
Jeff_in_KC

The only thing about that Weber Virtual Bullet recipe is that there is no injection. I don't know if that's a problem or not but I'm seeing all kinds of ideas that include lots of different ingredients and I'm also seeing a simply Tony C's Cajun Butter Injection Marinade and plop on the smoker. Have heard lots of good on that method. Seems it would be much simpler. Does the Cajun Butter injection give it a definite spiciness that some family might not care for?
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 11-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #43
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Jeff.....I can't remember the brand name of the stuff I use but it's not the Tony C stuff. It is the Creole Butter flavor, though. That is some good stuff. I've never had any complaints with it being too spicy and I feed some picky people who actually think Chili Powder is hot.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #44
JamesB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
The only thing about that Weber Virtual Bullet recipe is that there is no injection. I don't know if that's a problem or not but I'm seeing all kinds of ideas that include lots of different ingredients and I'm also seeing a simply Tony C's Cajun Butter Injection Marinade and plop on the smoker. Have heard lots of good on that method. Seems it would be much simpler. Does the Cajun Butter injection give it a definite spiciness that some family might not care for?
I have used the Tony C's cajun butter injection in fried turkeys and did not notice much spiciness at all... If anything it could have used much more spice... Still turned out good tho...

James.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2005, 08:57 PM   #45
Jeff_in_KC

Richie and James... thanks for the info. I've never used it so I wasn't sure what to expect if I do. My problem is that too many of these farkin' recipes sound GREAT and just when I think I've found a method I want to try, something else comes up that makes me think again! I just want to be sure I wow 'em on Turkey Day! My wife has some crazy ass idea that I'm not happy about eight of her family members coming here from Michigan to spend five days in our house so I want to do it up right, ya know?
KCBS Member #14287