The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default NonSanctioned "rules?"

Finally got the details on the municipal contest I'm cooking in saturday.

You can turn in whatever you want (multiple meats allowed, or anything else I guess) on or in whatever you want, garnished or not. Keep the size of you turning platter "within reason".

I'm cooking a little of everything to feed co-workers, family and friends. What do I turn in? Still planning on cooking the stuffed pork loin, can't decide what I should add to it if anything?

There's always the guessing game of what the judges are looking for, but this leaves a huge amount of guessing.

Suggestions?
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

E, The stuffed pork loin is a winner in my opinion. How about useing pulled pork instead of lettuce for garnish, as suggested today in another thread? Some nice shiny glazed butt would look pretty appetizing. maybe a little green (lettuce) around the edge for contrast. A few nice bright red slices of radish may help. The McMasters is talking now, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

stick with what you know best
EXPERT IN CRACKERESE
Spicewine Smoker Sales Southeast 863-381-1530
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
Mel
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker
stick with what you know best
Hot dogs on a GAS grill ???
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Some nice shiny glazed butt would look pretty appetizing.

Do not hijack... do NOT hijack!!!

I agree with everything Kevin said!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2005, 01:02 AM   #6
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

I'm cooking brisket, butt, ribs and wings to feed the masses. Think I'll stay somewhat flexible and go with what turns out best, having the stuffed loin as a intended primary on the turn in platter.

Was once told by a wise ol' fart, "think long, think wrong". Stuffed loin was my first reaction to "anything goes", gonna ride that piggy wherever it might take me

Unread 08-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #7
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
I'm cooking brisket, butt, ribs and wings to feed the masses. Think I'll stay somewhat flexible and go with what turns out best, having the stuffed loin as a intended primary on the turn in platter.

Was once told by a wise ol' fart, "think long, think wrong". Stuffed loin was my first reaction to "anything goes", gonna ride that piggy wherever it might take me
Talking in your sleep again?

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2005, 06:44 AM   #8
chad

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

I agree with 'Cracker - go with what you do best and what turns out - personally, I'd garnish the heck out of it. Take a couple of apples, orange, etc. along with demon lettuce and parsley.

Since it's unsanctioned and basically "no rules" make it look real purddy! :D Glaze the heck out of the chicken.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
personally, I'd garnish the heck out of it. Take a couple of apples, orange, etc. along with demon lettuce and parsley.

Since it's unsanctioned and basically "no rules" make it look real purddy! Glaze the heck out of the chicken.
Came to me today while I was working, that this open presentation thing might be where to really kick some arse. Nice variety, impressive presentation might get you at least half way home. If I can get all my crap ready, this is gonna be a lot of fun!!

Unread 08-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Default How'd Your Contest Go, Scott?

How'd the contest go, Scott? Haven't seen a report yet...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
Bigdog

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
having the stuffed loin as a intended primary on the turn in platter.
Someone told me these were very good.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Placed 6th out of 21 teams (no joke Kick ) just out of the money and prizes. Turned in pulled pork and 2 of the finest slabs of Baby Backs I ever cooked. Couldn't find loins so the stuffed loin mod will have to wait for next year.
Fed spectators, family, co-workers and friends, had an awesome time. Got a good run thru on a real event, forgot a couple of minor things that would have been nice to have but had all the essentials.
FE ran great on the inverter, have that test out of the way now, I know I have a setup for power I can count on.

After the contest was awful, the borrowed from work truck broke down on the way home. Didn't get home til near 2am. Had an awful time transfering all the gear from the truck to a trailer and pickup the next day. Dropped the FE and the BSKD off the liftgate (parked on slope mod), both survived, minor scratches on both, one bent handle on the SKD and the tiles are completely trashed now.
All in all, was a great time despite the difficulties afterward. The Mrs had a great time, told me as we were prepping for bed saturday night, "we gotta do a real KCBS event now, we're ready". Great that she's enthused, but she's more confident than I am. Me I just want to rest up, and practice over the winter. Need more work with the FE on a couple things, and need to get a WSM to cook chicken on so transportation of cookers isn't so much an issue.
Wish y'all could have come. We have some pics which I'll try to post sometime this week. Working OT still (mandatory 48 this week) so might be next weekend before I get to it.

Unread 08-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #13
Solidkick

I didn't tell a soul..........I waited for you.....

I still think you did a great job and am real proud of your performance. What you didn't tell them is most of the teams didn't show until noon-3PM and only cooked chicken and/or ribs.....you cooked the whole gamut.......on three cookers......that was impressive....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #14
chad

Good showing! Glad to hear the wife is interested - that helps! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #15
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I had jokingly told Brother Kick that I was claiming 6th place as they only gave results for 5th and better at the awards, well I got ahold of the full results today and we did finish 6th!! For a first solo effort I was really pleased. I've had the benefit of seeing class act teams do things right and wasn't unprepared. Knew all the gimme cooking would be a distraction, but freebies bring folks thru the gate and the gate benefitted children's charities so was glad to do it.
Keeping 3 cookers going most of the day was a challenge but a fun one at that. Was a huge variety of cookers, eggs, treagers, big offsets, one vintage Fast Eddy everything you can imagine.
Met lots of folks from very experienced cooks to just started rookies, every one wanted to know about the FE. Had 3 different people call it a refrigerator , had to explain many times that it isn't an electric smoker, Eddy was a great way to meet people if nothing else.
Invited several folks to the site, hope some of them stop by for a visit.
Compliments on the food were plentiful and greatly appreciated. Was a great first foray into solo competition. Looking forward to the next event next spring.