MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Pork butt (Chris Lilly Injected) -- BEST YET!

Picked up 4 pork butts at Sam's on Friday night.
I was suprised when 1 of the cryovacs had boneless butts in it (since they weren't marked any differently)

Oh well, ONWARD!

After trimming a bit (they were well trimmed and didn't need much. My Sam's has gone away from IBP and these were something different. Much better trimmed right out of the package. TOTAL weight of the trimmed butts before cooking was 32 lbs, 1 3/4 oz. I got a food scale for my birthday in Feb and I use it all the time now!

I've never injected pork butts at home. We do it for competition, of course, but I just don't bother at home. I decided to give it a whirl and after a quick search on this, THE BEST BBQ FORUM ON THE ENTIRE PLANET, I found a highly recommended and easy to make up injection from a World Champ!

I made up some of Chris Lilly's Pork Injection as follows:
3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C table salt
2 TBS worschestershire sauce
(NOTE: this recipe is for 2 butts. I made a double batch)

Here's what it looked like all mixed up with a whisk until the sugar and salt were completely dissolved. Not real exciting...

Injected all of it into all 4 butts. What leaked out I didn't worry about reinjecting. Needless to say that they all got a good amount of injection.

I rubbed the butts with a good layer of Big JT's Smokin Pork Rub (a super secret blend that even I don't know.....and Big JT's my competition teammate! ) and then slightly lighter layer of SM Cherry.

Then they went on the UDS, which was PEGGED at 225 when they went on. I used a chunk of hickory and a couple chunks of apple for this cook. I put the apple on the top of the basket so that there'd be plenty of smoke for the first part of the cook. It was tight, but they all went on the top rack:

They went on EXACTLY at 7:00, which was all part of my plan. BWWAAAAAHAHHAAAAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAAAA!!!!

Sorry....

Anyway, they cooked all day long. It was a very wet and damp day and when this is the case, I always fight the drum. I always need a LOT more intake to keep temps up in the cooker when it's rainy and damp outside. I ended up having to open all 3 intake vents at times to keep the drum at around 250. They were in the stall (155-160) when we left at 5 to go to church. Didn't want things to get carried away so I shut all but 1 vent off and when we got back about 7 the cooker was at 175 and the butts had dropped to 140-145 . Puzzled, when I took the butts off to foil I went ahead and checked the charcoal basket and was shocked to find it barely lit and nearly empty. This has NEVER happened! It was all but completely full when I fired the smoker at 5:30 am. Had to be because of the increased air flow and damp weather I guess. I ended up reloading the fuel basket about 1/2 full with all lump. No more smoke wood since the butts were now wrapped in foil. Reset everything and closed it up again.

At about 9 the drum was now humming along at 300 and the butts were almost there, but still fighting it. At 10:30, tenderness like BUTTAH had been achieved and the butts were pulled and rested, wrapped, on the counter for an hour. When I finally opened them up......perfection!

On to the pullin!

Fat had rendered away almost completely, but as always, there was a bit to take out, that thich layer right in the middle. The butts pulled great and when I snuck a taste of the meat from the middle of the roast (unaffected for the most part by the bark/rub) I was in HEAVEN! This was by far the best pulled pork I've ever cooked at home! I remember at the last competition when tasting the pork thinking, "Why don't my butts ever taste THIS good at home?" Uhhhhh.....injection!

The bark pieces were even MORE tasty since they had that barky goodness on top of the wonderful flavor of the pork and the ever so slightly saltiness and that almost "umami" flavor that the worschestershire offers. Nothing you can pick out, just a "sump'n" extra there, a depth of flavor.

Anyway, I then sprinkled a bit more SM Cherry over all the meat and splashed with more apple juice and mixed it through. This PP wasn't for eatin right now. It was going to be portioned, vacuum sealed, and frozen for later consumption and the AJ is great for not only cooling the meat down, but also for adding moisture in the vacuum bags to ensure moist goodness on reaheating in a pot of hot water.

Here's what it all looked like just before I covered the pans and put them out in the fridge for the night to chill:

This morning after coffee, it was time to get to work. I bagged everything in 2 lb increments and vacuum sealed all of it. There were 9 bags at 2 lbs and 1 bag at just a hair over 1.5 lbs.

All ready for the freezer!

For those of you keeping track at home, I ended up with a total of 19.5 lbs of finished pulled pork. Since I had a total of 32 and 1 3/4 oz of trimmed pork to start with, I had a total of 60.73% finished weight, or slightly less than 40% loss in bone, fat, shrinkage, etc. And this was after trimming.

As for the injection......I'll be doing this from now on!

Thanks for lookin!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Unbelievably good looking eats there Wampus! I've been contemplating injecting myself. Seeing this really wants me to try it!

[COLOR=blue]Extremely Durable, Fast and Amazingly Accurate Maverick Pro Temp PT-100 Thermometer & ET-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Found new homes: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Modded Brinkmann SNP(it's finally holding temp!), 18.5" Weber kettle[/COLOR]
Bbqin fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

It's a good injection. I started using it years ago. Over time I finally just cut it down to just apple juice and worchestershire sauce (plus a little of my rub) as it reduce the salt a little and the apple juice un-thinned with water was plenty sweet. Since then for comps I've mixed this about 2/3rds with another concoction that equates a little to a creole butter 1/3rd.

Good job!!!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

k. I'll try injector.
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
deguerre

Looking good! I'm doing this on the next butt. Have you tried injecting with Big Bob Gibson's vinegar cayenne sauce? That's pretty awesome too.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on the terrific looking PP! I have been using Lilly's injection for a few years now and the only tweaks I do are to reduce the salt a little.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Forgot to add, I rub the butts, wrap them in cling film and then inject through the cling film and then cooler before smoking. Seems to reduce on injection leakage from the butts.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Boshizzle

Epic pork!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Phubar

Send me one of them vacuum packages Wampus!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I kinda got lucky that this is the first injection I ever used, in the first pork shoulder I ever cooked. It is the only injection I ever use for pork.

I tried a twist on that recipe for a pumpkin spice pork shoulder I did this last fall and it just didn't measure up.

Great looking pork!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

I have to try again. Have Bob Gibson's BBQ cookbook and when I tried injecting it seems like more of the liquid leaked out than went into the butts. Bought a better injector a couple weeks ago but trying to figure out the best technique for actually getting the liquid to stay in the meat and not all over the counter...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
Golden Toad BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great! Nice job...

Toad
[URL="http://www.XtinctionSauces.com"]www.XtinctionSauces.com[/URL]
Golden Toad BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
big brother smoke