MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Easy UDS Weber Lid Mod (w/pics)

I finally got around to 'fixing' my UDS to hold a Weber dome lid properly. I know there are a lot of ways to do this and I believe this method has been done before as well...

I went to Lowes and found a strip of aluminum measuring 8' x 1.5" x 1/8" so I picked it up for $20. I cut it down to the right length to fit around the inside of my drum...

The strip needs to rise 1/2" above the lip of the drum...

I bolted it in place with some SS #10 bolts with washers, lock washer, and nuts...

I then sealed the edge with some Permatex silicon (rated to 500°)...

Then the weber lid fits really nicely...

I know lots of people like to just invert the drum and work from the bottom with the Weber lid, but this 'fix' is going to work pretty well for me I think.

My UDS is going to get a new paint job for this summer... Something a little nicer than the flat black if I can come up with a good idea :)
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
AlanTX
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the post. I just picked up a seldom used 22" Weber off of CL for $25, yippy for me.
AlanTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTX View Post
Thanks for the post. I just picked up a seldom used 22" Weber off of CL for $25, yippy for me.
I got one for $30 over the weekend just to use the lid for this project... I had hoped the grates would be usable as well but they were rusted out pretty badly so all the parts except for the lid are going out in tomorrow's trash...

Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good JM, glad tp see it worked guess I'm heading to Lowes this weekend. Give it a try!

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
msuman
Knows what a fatty is.

Ill have to remember this one when I get to that stage. Don't think that aluminum would hard to shape being that thin.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
msuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
eribac
Knows what a fatty is.

Good idea! I bought a rotisserie a few weeks back and just got my Rib-O-Later last week, so I now need to a dome lid to my UDS. Balancing the lid on top of the drum isn't working so well.

Wonder if there is a way to make this removable so you have the option of using the flat again? Then I wonder if there is a reason why you'd want to use the flat lid vs the Weber dome?

There I go again, making things more complicated than they need to be...

--eric
eribac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eribac View Post
Good idea! I bought a rotisserie a few weeks back and just got my Rib-O-Later last week, so I now need to a dome lid to my UDS. Balancing the lid on top of the drum isn't working so well.

Wonder if there is a way to make this removable so you have the option of using the flat again? Then I wonder if there is a reason why you'd want to use the flat lid vs the Weber dome?

--eric
I had that same decision to make. I typically only need a single cooking rack in the drum and the flat lid was working out fine for that. The only advantage of using the flat lid and a single rack is reducing the volume inside the cooker which creates a little more efficiency, even though its minor. I don't believe this particular mod can be made effectively if it was made removable. You would have a rather significant air leak at the top of the drum between the aluminum gasket and the inside edge of the drum.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
dddouglas
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eribac View Post

--eric
You could elongate the bolt holes on the strip (if it is wide enough) and raise and lower.
dddouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddouglas View Post
You could elongate the bolt holes on the strip (if it is wide enough) and raise and lower.
Still not sure how to pull that off and keep it air tight...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Great and yet simple mod there JM. I have been on the lookout for a weber lid for my UDS, but have been very happy with my flat lid with it's clamp down. Your mod makes me want to try harder for that "Find".
retired trucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

How difficult is to shape that flat stock?
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillywannaQ View Post
How difficult is to shape that flat stock?
Not too bad... i just got it close to where it needed to be and then drilled my holes and bolted it into position one point at a time all teh way around... i used 6 bolting points... 8 might make it a little cleaner but 6 worked out ok for me.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334122266.030795.jpgI just rolled 3 pieces of steel strap today at the shop for a buddy of mines UDS's.
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I got one for $30 over the weekend just to use the lid for this project... I had hoped the grates would be usable as well but they were rusted out pretty badly so all the parts except for the lid are going out in tomorrow's trash...
Dont throw away the bowl. Option 1: You can cut it down along with the legs to make an ash basket for UDS. Doesnt look good but it works great.

Option 2: Make a planter out of it. I have 4 Serronos thriving in one right now.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
msuman
Knows what a fatty is.

Have you used it yet? I am just curious if it makes for a tight seal around the lid.
msuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->