The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 1st time judging; williepalooza!

Good luck everyone! Hope I do y'all right.(judge fairly and appropriately)

Any thoughts for a first time judge?

I'll try and shake allaya'alls hands after turn ins. Lotsa brethren I'd like to meet!

Good luck, can't wait!
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Sledneck
Time Out
 
Sledneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Wantagh, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

My condolences
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
scm1226
Take a breath!

 
scm1226's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-14-10
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The mediocre brisket will be ours. Mark it up. Hahahaha, great event, hope you have fun, we always do. Come by for aJameson after your judging .
__________________
SMOKIN' IRISH BBQ
Green Humphrey's Battle Box, 18 1/2 Inch WSM, Retired Green and White UDS, Black Performer, Smokey Joe Gold- WSM Mini, Genesis Gasser, Black Stealth Thermopen
JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY
scm1226 is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Cue's Your Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-06
Location: Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Bring a cooler so u fit in....
__________________
Paul
GOTHAM CITY GRILLERS BBQ TEAM
"Cue's Your Daddy! BBQ TEAM"
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker
 
ModelMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-06
Location: Lake Ponderosa-Montezuma, IA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
Good luck everyone! Hope I do y'all right.(judge fairly and appropriately)

Any thoughts for a first time judge?

I'll try and shake allaya'alls hands after turn ins. Lotsa brethren I'd like to meet!

Good luck, can't wait!

I see there is a new 1st time judge continueing education effort in the Bullsheet where the Rep should pair you up with a mentor such as a Master Judge to help you on your way. Bring it to their attention and give it a try.
Good luck on your first adventure as a judge. The first time is always special, judging too!!
Ed
__________________
Designer of a custom drum smoker
Customized Aussie gas passer
Turkey fryer
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge


And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
The mediocre brisket will be ours. Mark it up. Hahahaha, great event, hope you have fun, we always do. Come by for aJameson after your judging .
you're on!

thanks for the invite!
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy View Post
Bring a cooler so u fit in....
the only cooler i'll have will be full of beers and water to share with my friends after judging and congratulate them on their efforts.

even though i hate wasting food, i'm not there to get a doggy bag.
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
I see there is a new 1st time judge continueing education effort in the Bullsheet where the Rep should pair you up with a mentor such as a Master Judge to help you on your way. Bring it to their attention and give it a try.
Good luck on your first adventure as a judge. The first time is always special, judging too!!
Ed
i will do that at another contest, but this one isn't KCBS sanctioned. it is brethren rules.

as an aside i scored 48 out of 50 on the online test(forget if it was continuing education or the CMJ test) so i hope i at least know the rules, but having someone walk you along the process would be great.

but, thanks for the heads up, i flipped through the current bullsheet this morning, will read through maybe tomorrow.
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
My condolences
why? you won't be there, no chance of getting 13th place rubber chicken.

or a hotpocket.
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Sledneck
Time Out
 
Sledneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Wantagh, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
why? you won't be there, no chance of getting 13th place rubber chicken.

or a hotpocket.
I will be there, bring a big bottle of pepto
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Lake Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-09
Location: Lake Sinclair, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

> you're not gonna place. or show.
>
> sauce the farkin thing for the judges. un-sauce at home for principle.
>
> develop a sauce that in your mind compliments the bbq.
>
> *rant on* i'm getting a little tired of the "it's a meat contest" conjecture.
>
> it is not.
>
> it is a BBQ contest, and with that, can and will include sauce.
>
> a meat contest would have very different criteria...kosher salt, fresh cracked black > pepper and nothing else seasoning the meat. BBQ is different.
>
> see steak vs. pulled pork bbq.
>
> so please, sauce your competition BBQ. at least a little bit.
>
> *rant off*
>
> flame at will fellas....proof is in aaallllll in the pudding.

Then,

> Any thoughts for a first time judge?


Yes, I have one. I'll bet that Tom has judge over 100 contests in different sanctioning bodies, sampling probably 400 to 600 pulled pork entries (at very least).
I suggest reserving comments like above until you have at least 5 or 6
contests judged under the belt.

Lets offer advice from experience, aye? JMHO. The "its a meat contest, not a sauce
contest" is part of judges training in most every sanctioning body and reiterated at many pre-contest judges meetings.

Good luck; have fun; and please judge based upon the criteria and standards taught in class.
__________________
Hance - Lake Dogs Cooking Team - MiM/MBN/GBA CBJ and comp cook
Lake Sinclair, GA (strategically about an hour from everywhere)
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
> you're not gonna place. or show.
>
> sauce the farkin thing for the judges. un-sauce at home for principle.
>
> develop a sauce that in your mind compliments the bbq.
>
> *rant on* i'm getting a little tired of the "it's a meat contest" conjecture.
>
> it is not.
>
> it is a BBQ contest, and with that, can and will include sauce.
>
> a meat contest would have very different criteria...kosher salt, fresh cracked black > pepper and nothing else seasoning the meat. BBQ is different.
>
> see steak vs. pulled pork bbq.
>
> so please, sauce your competition BBQ. at least a little bit.
>
> *rant off*
>
> flame at will fellas....proof is in aaallllll in the pudding.

Then,

> Any thoughts for a first time judge?


Yes, I have one. I'll bet that Tom has judge over 100 contests in different sanctioning bodies, sampling probably 400 to 600 pulled pork entries (at very least).
I suggest reserving comments like above until you have at least 5 or 6
contests judged under the belt.

Lets offer advice from experience, aye? JMHO. The "its a meat contest, not a sauce
contest" is part of judges training in most every sanctioning body and reiterated at many pre-contest judges meetings.

Good luck; have fun; and please judge based upon the criteria and standards taught in class.
crafty deveil aren't ya.

those comments were from a competitor's standpoint, not a judge's.

i also never said it was a sauce contest, i said it was a BBQ contest; and some sauce on BBQ meat can be good.

sauce or don't sauce for me as judge, i'll score as presented. if it's good, it'll score high, if not, then low, regardless of if it's sauced or not.

however, as a competitor, i still stand behind the advice i gave to score well consistently(assuming in kcbs).

hance, you're one of the most helpful members on here(and have helped me personally a number of times) so i'm not starting a tif, but, let me ask, how many times have you turned in un-sauced pork for KCBS?
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I will be there, bring a big bottle of pepto
oh yeah, i forgot what you had told me. see ya sunday afternoon.
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Lake Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-09
Location: Lake Sinclair, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
crafty deveil aren't ya.

those comments were from a competitor's standpoint, not a judge's.

i also never said it was a sauce contest, i said it was a BBQ contest; and some sauce on BBQ meat can be good.

sauce or don't sauce for me as judge, i'll score as presented. if it's good, it'll score high, if not, then low, regardless of if it's sauced or not.

however, as a competitor, i still stand behind the advice i gave to score well consistently(assuming in kcbs).

hance, you're one of the most helpful members on here(and have helped me personally a number of times) so i'm not starting a tif, but, let me ask, how many times have you turned in un-sauced pork for KCBS?
I was in "a mood" last night. My apology. Sincerely!

I've mostly judged and competed in others, not much KCBS. When we've done KCBS two times the first time the pork went out COLD (very bad) and was just in that bottom 1/3 (26th out of 45 or something like this). The other time we were in that top 1/3 with a call (as best I recall), but it was about 9th, unsauced and unsliced... You are right in that KCBS differs (from what I've seen) from other sanctioning bodies in that KCBS judges seem to want sauce and they want/prefer St Louis spares. Probably the other extreme/opposite would be MBN, where around here the pork is probably 70-80% unsauced and I've never seen a spare rib win, ever, it's about baby backs. Why the difference, even in the same approximate region, I dont know... It just is. BBQ Pitmasters, IMHO, has played a part at least here in this region. Probably one comment by Myron did more than anything I've ever seen. Meaning, in 2004-2009 we'd almost never see anything sliced in pork come across the table, not even the MM. Now, probably 70% have the MM sliced (in blind boxes); not in on-site [MBN]. Still, some MM's will come in sliced with a tiny amount of sauce, some unsauced, occasionally heavily sauced. MBN sauce is better on-the-side (IMHO), if at all.

As for your personal experience doing better with sauce, part of that could've been that the judges expected the sauce, and/or it could've been that it needed sauce to become more moist/tender and help with presentation, or perhaps it was a tad bland without the sauce and needed it for flavor. I've seen (and still see) these types of things from unsauced meats coming across the tables. But, every once in a while, an unsauced entry comes across that hits the mark perfectly and WOW is it something else!!

Like in the last contest I judged. Good pork table; 2 unsauced entries, others sauced or sauce on side. I had one entry that was unsauced, beautiful presentation, perfectly tender and moist, but was bland and definitely needed a little pick-me-up. It scored middle of the pack. I had another entry that put a mustard sauce on the side. The mustard sauce happened to be the best mustard sauce I've EVER had, EVER. But, this sauce didnt go well with the meat presented, and so it scored lower than the bland one. Funny, after judging was over, I dipped some of the bland meat in a little of that mustard sauce and OH WOW did that do the trick. Combine those two and it would've been amazing. Anyway, this is an example on one table where sauce hurt one entry and would've really helped another.
__________________
Hance - Lake Dogs Cooking Team - MiM/MBN/GBA CBJ and comp cook
Lake Sinclair, GA (strategically about an hour from everywhere)
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Westexbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-02-05
Location: Rockin' Lake Ronfarkoma, Hinterlands of BBQ .
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

"Any thoughts for a first time judge?"

Yes, be sure and study the syllabus, bring two, sharp #2 pencils and practice the secret handshake until you can do it in the dark.
__________________
Illuminated, circa 1967.
KCBS CBJ-Texas Transplant.
Texas Smokemaster offset, Well-cured NB Silver Smoker, Santa Fe grill (retired). glory bee gasser.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"


Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts