Dickey's Barbecue

hamiltont

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
It looks like a Dickey's Barbecue franchise is opening up here in Kearney very soon. I've never been in one so I was wondering what to expect. Dine-in, Take-out and Catering experiences? Cheers!!!

Expect that you'll make better Q yourself than that place. We had one open here, closed down within a year. Now a City BBQ has opened in the exact building Dickies was in, and they are busy all the time. Imagine that...if you serve garbage, nobody will buy it...

Tried dickey's in dallas. their sausage& turkey breast were good but the rest sucked. Brisket was dry,PP was generic.I'm not even gonna talk about their mushy ribs.... Oooos just did.

Sent via Criffvo

It's not impressive..we've had one here for 5 months and I just stopped by the other day..got a combo with brisket and pp..

brisket was chopped and fatty..The bark actually tasted like hotdog chili..

The pp had a decent flavor but was a bit dry. It had the color of the jerky chew (the fake tobacco stuff).

Potato salad was okay..not quite savory enough for me..

The fried okra may have been the best I've ever had anywhere though...I don't know why but it was absolutely amazing..I'd go back just for okra..if I was within a block or two and wanted okra..

There sauces are all the same..Hot, Original, and Sweet..taste like the same base sauce with pepper or sweetener added..not impressed...If I never go back, I won't be sad..

They are all over the Dallas area, and there is one a couple miles from me.

They are good, relative to most chain BBQ stores. Definitely not "garbage." I meet people at Dickey's for lunch on occasion. I usually get a sliced brisket sammich and a loaded baked tater.

It's going to be tough opening in a new market. Here, they can open anywhere, and people know what to expect. That's probably the problem they had in Ohio, unless that store wasn't doing it like the one's here.

CD

Tried just once, never again. There is no smoke smell at all in this place, in fact there is more smoke scent at Burger King!

I've had mixed reviews with them. Some were decent, others I wouldn't feed it to my dogs. I think its truly dependent on that actual store and the effort people put into it.

Famous Dave's is surprisingly good.

Just like I said above, it depends on the store. The one I ate in Wi was horrible, couldn't stand it. So I tried one in Salt Lake City, and it was actually very good. So I think it all comes down to the staff and management at any store.

We've been to just one. The ribs were tasteless, the potato salad had the overly sweet flavor of supermarket potato salad, but the consistency of mashed potatoes. Ugh! I'd love to tell you about the brisket and the beans, but they neglected to put them in our takeout order. We called thinking they might send us a certificate for the shortage. The worker that took the call kept asking the manager to talk to us, he wouldn't and had the worker tell us to drive back if we wanted our sides. This was during a MN 8" snowstorm! So, crappy food and sh***y service means that's the last of our money they will get.

I guess the ones outside of TX have a lot to be desired. No they are not the end all of bbq joints but the ones I have been in smelled like the inside of a smoker and the food was passable. You gotta q your own or go to Lockhart if you want great.

Dickey's is popping up around North Carolina and is giving barbecue a bad name. Some "visitors" don't know that Dickey's isn't NC Q!!!

If you go to one of the places around Dallas that is owned by the Dickey family, they are ok, (Not great, but passable). Any of the franchised locations around the country will suck. Chain has some serious quality control issues.

Does anyone know how the franchises operate? Is the meat cooked/smoked on-site or shipped in frozen & warmed up? If on-site is it procured locally or shipped in frozen? Do they have any flexibility in the menu or how the food is prepared or what ingredients are used? Just curious I guess. Cheers!!!

Does anyone know how the franchises operate? Is the meat cooked/smoked on-site or shipped in frozen & warmed up? If on-site is it procured locally or shipped in frozen? Do they have any flexibility in the menu or how the food is prepared or what ingredients are used? Just curious I guess. Cheers!!!

The one we had here that closed, did not have a smoker on site, and as one of the other members posting said, there was no smoke smell to the place either. They brought it (the meat) in from somewhere else. The meat was bland. The sauces sucked. It was purely garbage BBQ. I'd rather eat a McRib. The only thing they had going for them was they had a big selection of side dishes, but BBQ is all about the meat not the side dishes.

Dickey's is ok,nothing special but its ok if you want bbq in a hurry.Its defintally not homemade Q

Back