The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #31
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Completely unenforceable. Who is going to stand around with a ThermoPen and make sure it's being upheld?

Disagree. If there are 3 or 4 spot checks on teams on Saturday morning by the reps. You wouldn't have teams cheating. The reps can keep it random by pulling the teams out of a hat. With that threat of being caught would be a bigger hindrance than what we have now.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
Candy Sue
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Disagree. If there are 3 or 4 spot checks on teams on Saturday morning by the reps. You wouldn't have teams cheating. The reps can keep it random by pulling the teams out of a hat. With that threat of being caught would be a bigger hindrance than what we have now.
I do not work for a restaurant but I am a ServSafe cook. Food borne illness is just terrible! I don't want to be the cause of any person's gastric distress because I've not followed correct food handling procedures. I like this idea. Not just for one category though. Proper food handling should be a goal of every cook team.

This is only my opinion...
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I do not work for a restaurant but I am a ServSafe cook. Food borne illness is just terrible! I don't want to be the cause of any person's gastric distress because I've not followed correct food handling procedures. I like this idea. Not just for one category though. Proper food handling should be a goal of every cook team.

This is only my opinion...
It would be nice to have someone teach or give an overview of ServSafe procedures to the cooks before/after the cook's meeting.
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #34
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
It would be nice to have someone teach or give an overview of ServSafe procedures to the cooks before/after the cook's meeting.
I think Paul Kirk is working on that. Another decade or so and he should have a report.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #35
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I think Paul Kirk is working on that. Another decade or so and he should have a report.
Great Then you'll have to take the KCBS official "CSCC*" (Certified Safe Competition Cook*) class for $100 and keep your membership current to be allowed to compete.

*CSCC and Certified Safe Competition Cook are the intellectual property of Slamdunkpro and may not be reproduced, utilized or otherwise incorporated into any food related contest or event, existing or in the future, conducted in any medium, on any planet known or unknown or any any realm of reality or dimension discovered or undiscovered without paying huge residuals and royalties in perpetuity.
Failure to abide by these, or any other conditions that I might think up now or after the fact will result in a C&D letter of the most forceful language.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #36
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Actually, there are servsafe courses available on CD with a test online at the end. It would be simple for KCBS to make it available to the membership on a cost plus basis on the website.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #37
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
Actually, there are servsafe courses available on CD with a test online at the end. It would be simple for KCBS to make it available to the membership on a cost plus basis on the website.
In all seriousness I don't think we want to open that door. No one goes out with the idea of making anyone sick. Once you open the ServSafe door how far is it to every competitor has to have a HD permit / inspection / all equipment has to be NSF / all sites have to have ground cover / hair nets / there has to be a ServSafe food manager on site for the entire duration / any off site prep has to be done in a certified commissary and on and on and on.

I know that all the caterers with rigs will read this and go "so, I do it all the time" and that's great, but most comp cooks aren't caterers. If you want to crush the life out of a expanding game / sport / pastime, smother it with over the top government regulation.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #38
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think the intent would be to intorduce it as a requirement but only as a guidline. An example is what is the minimum temp that each of the products we cook is required to reach? What is the hot hold temp? what is the low hold temp? what is the time and temp for reheat? what is the time for hold outside safe zone? what do you do with the product once it is outside the safe zone time? What do you do to the product that has been outside the safe zone but is still within the time line? Record keeping? HAND WASHING prior to gloving! why is that necessary? use of sanitizer! These are just a few of the guidlines that most competition cooks don't know or realize their importance.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #39
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
I don't think the intent would be to intorduce it as a requirement but only as a guidline. An example is what is the minimum temp that each of the products we cook is required to reach? What is the hot hold temp? what is the low hold temp? what is the time and temp for reheat? what is the time for hold outside safe zone? what do you do with the product once it is outside the safe zone time? What do you do to the product that has been outside the safe zone but is still within the time line? Record keeping? HAND WASHING prior to gloving! why is that necessary? use of sanitizer! These are just a few of the guidlines that most competition cooks don't know or realize their importance.
I respectfully disagree - First, guidelines have a habit of becoming rules. Second, comp cooks aren't running a day long vend or restaurant operation. Comp temperatures and sanitation are specified in the rules and most contests are well within the window of hold times. Do you seriously expect comp cooks to keep temp logs?

How about we go to the system like the People's Choice at MIM so everyone is SAFE? When you take your turn in box to the table there's someone there with a thermometer; they open your box and in goes the probe! Not at 140? Well we have this handy oven, please empty your box into a aluminum pan and we'll put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 500 degrees to insure it's SAFE. Then you can reload your turn in box and submit it for judging. Yeah, this was a bit of a stretch,,,,,or is it?

-----------------
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #40
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

In my capacity as an engineer, I have traveled all over the world to include all continents except Australia and to all the states except Hawaii. I carried Lomotil to all of them except the US. The places that it was needed by me are the UK and India. Food bourn gastric distress is a real problem and improper handling of food or improper temperature constraints or improper hygienic conditions are the major issue. I have spent several months in hospitals over my life time because of these issues and really believe in the servesafe requirement in the US regardless of the venue. All we need is one person to attribute their problem to a KCBS contest and the defecation will hit the rotating oscillator.
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #41
Candy Sue
Take a breath!

Every state has different requirements for ServSafe certification. I took the online course and had to go to Little Rock to be supervised during the test. Paul did have a ServSafe class at the January 2011 banquet -- probably for Missouri or Kansas only. Much of the study program doesn't apply at all to cooking barbeque, like how to measure milk temperature when you take delivery of a shipment of single serve cartons. With that said, knowing proper cleanliness and raw meat handling/storage protocols, safe cooking temps and times, finish temps is very valuable.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #42
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree with Candy that servsafe is overkill for competition. Temps are already in the rules. Hand washing and gloves are excellent ways to help safety but most teams do not have adequate hand washing setup. Putting on gloves with dirty hands will cut down on the problem but can't be a perfect solution. Most teams do the best they can. Seeing bare hands on tv shows doesn't help The KCBS should have a gloves rule.

I think a hand wash station inspection by reps Friday afternoon or evening by reps would be a good idea. Every team should gave a free flow hot water system with catch pial. You should not use the 3bay sinks.

FYI. I am servsafe certified thru 2014 and have a trailer with a 10 gallon hot water heater that is set to high temp. I always wash hands after the bathroom, a cigar and try every time before gloving. However when doing a box if the gloves get messed with glaze I may change them on the fly without washing hands. Better than not regloving. Same with going from hot meat gloves to food handlers.
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #43
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

So, what is the BOD going to do about updating the Rep Advisories?

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #44
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
So, what is the BOD going to do about updating the Rep Advisories?

Benny
The rules committee is in the process of reviewing all rules and rep advisories and plans to make recommendations to the BOD to clarify and simplify the rules. It will be up to the entire board whether to make any changes or not.

No rules will be changed during the contest year. Any actions taken by the board will not take effect until the 2013 competition season.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #45
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
The rules committee is in the process of reviewing all rules and rep advisories and plans to make recommendations to the BOD to clarify and simplify the rules. It will be up to the entire board whether to make any changes or not.

No rules will be changed during the contest year. Any actions taken by the board will not take effect until the 2013 competition season.
nice answer, youre getting good at this. Unfortunately Ive heard that exact answer in years past. Guess we'll havd to wait and see
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote