The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default How Does Aging Work?

I've been reading in some of the threads recently about folks aging their meat. Can someone explain to me the difference between wet aging and dry aging? Someone was saying they had aged their meat for 30 days without any kind of preservative, I think. Other than the refrigeration, what keeps it from going bad???
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Wet aging just keeps meat at temp still in cryo in reefer. Needs to be a stable temp

Dry aging is usually done in commercial walk in reefers. Meat is left on racks
Over time, it dries on the outside, concentrating protiens and enhancing the flavor. But the outside needs to be trimmed off, results in a lot less, but better tasting usable meat

Not sure but if you Google Peter Luger restaurant, they might have more detail online

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
tish

So, are there preservatives involved? If I kept meat in my fridge for 30 days, I know it would be looking and smelling pretty funky.
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

None that I'm aware of. The funky part on the outside is trimmed off and discarded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

dry aging The process changes beef by two means. First, moisture is evaporated from the muscle. This creates a greater concentration of beef flavor and taste. Second, the beef’s natural enzymes break down the connective tissue in the muscle, which leads to more tender beef. The process of dry-aging usually also promotes growth of certain fungal (mold) species on the external surface of the meat. This doesn't cause spoilage, but actually forms an external "crust" on the meat's surface, which is trimmed off when the meat is prepared for cooking. These fungal species complement the natural enzymes in the beef by helping to tenderize and increase the flavor of the meat.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
realspaazz
Take a breath!

Tish, there are no preservatives. Constant temperature and humidity (or lack of much humidity) is very important, so opening the fridge a bunch of times a day is not a good thing. Many people use a dedicated fridge just for dry ageing. Most recommendations say to home dry age for 7 days max. I have seen commercial dry ageing go 21 days (or a bit longer) Be sure to trim the dry, green, gray or funky looking bits from the outside.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
tish

So, if you have meat in a cryovac package, you could put it in the fridge for a month, and it wouldn't go bad?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

We wet age our briskets for competition at least 40 days from the PACK date, not the sell by date, hoping to get to about 45. As long as the cry stays intact you can wet age in a fridge that has a steady temp between 36-38*. We used to use a dedicated fridge, but now we have a meat packer in the area take care of it for us and we pick the case up when its ready.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
tish

I've seen on some cooking blog sites these "bags" for dry aging, and a special kind of fridge of some sort that you buy in which to dry age the meat. Was really pricey, but they said it was worth the cost.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
We wet age our briskets for competition at least 40 days from the PACK date, not the sell by date, hoping to get to about 45. As long as the cry stays intact you can wet age in a fridge that has a steady temp between 36-38*. We used to use a dedicated fridge, but now we have a meat packer in the area take care of it for us and we pick the case up when its ready.
So, then this isn't something you could just do in your regular fridge because you open and close the door a bunch of times every day. Correct?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

what are you trying to dry age? Steaks, roasts, briskets? I wouldnt attempt it in a normal fridge, too much flucation in temperature.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
what are you trying to dry age? Steaks, roasts, briskets?
At this point, I'm not trying to age anything, wet or dry. It's just something I've read about, and wondered how it worked. Would I like to be able to cook a steak that tastes better because it was dry aged without having to pay a premium for the meat? Sure, I would! But I had no way of knowing how that could be accomplished. That's why I asked. Don't know that this is something the average Jill could do at home, unless she had a dedicated fridge just for this purpose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
tish

Here is one of those blog sites that talks about dry aging using special bags. Supposedly won the National Restaurant Associations product innovations award. I guess it works, but you'd still need a dedicated fridge for the temp stability, I'm sure.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/umai-dry-...eak-videos.php
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm dry aging a brisket in my basement fridge for next weekend actually. I'll be posting some pics and info when the process is complete. I usually do them for 5 to 7 days max...and only beef can be aged safely in my opinion. A general rule is the larger the piece of meat, the longer you can age it. I usually do individual steaks for 2 maybe 3 days depending on thickness. Wet aging in cryo for comps are 30 days on the average. But it's important to know the kill date to it safely.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

There is a Good Eats episode "Celebrity Roast" that explains the dry aging process.

AB does a great job explaining
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfaeWEjGpM

--Mike