The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 07-09-10
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Default Transporting BGEs to Comps

I have three L BGE that I would like to use for comps that are all on homemade carts two of which have a concrete slab for the countertop (attached pic) which makes them very top heavy. Does anyone have experience transporting BGEs on carts? I've seen pictures of people transporting their BGEs without carts but not with carts. I've got an enclosed trailer with a ramp that would be very handy if we didn't have to take the eggs out of the carts. Thanks for any advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25603_375521873378_581188378_3746571_1842889_n.jpg (56.8 KB, 168 views)
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 08-09-07
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Default

be prepared to break one at some point.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
pat
is Blowin Smoke!
 
pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-08
Location: Des Moines, IA
Default

I would definitely take everything out of the inside. I cracked my fire pot and plate setter during transport once....only once
__________________
Smokers Purgatory

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 07-09-10
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Default

You left the BGE in the cart though? I thought about stuffing towels and around the outside and bottom. Good call on place setter and fire pot. Thanks!
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
bbqbrad
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-20-08
Location: Royston, Ga
Default

If you want a lighter cart option...
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.pdf
__________________
Brad Maffett
Head Cook and Bottle Washer
Hot For Teacher BBQ
hotforteacherbbq.com
[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Thermapen Owner[/COLOR]
bbqbrad is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
EMTTLC
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 05-14-11
Location: Seymour, TN
Default

Scrambled Egg = $342.00 for an XL base. Mine bit the dust going to Birmingham last year. Started backpeddling to figure out how to cook without it. 29th out of 30. Lesson learned. Egg nest history. I made a stand with 8" pneumatic wheels. Plate setter sits on trailer floor, inside components are separated by foam insulation for transport. As soon as the last piece of meat comes off shovel out the coals and leave the lid open so it will cool down for transport. It takes forever to cool down.
EMTTLC is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
riblette
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 09-20-10
Location: folsom, ca
Default

Hey Kevin,

These cats do it... http://155south.com/page5.php?view=p...ory=3&image=14 They're good guys, too. You could probably contact Matt or Bram via their web site and they could tell you how.

We have 3 LG BGEs that we load on and off using this deal http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ECFFJ8/...&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

..best $25 I'm spent on gear.
riblette is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
pat
is Blowin Smoke!
 
pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-08
Location: Des Moines, IA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
You left the BGE in the cart though? I thought about stuffing towels and around the outside and bottom. Good call on place setter and fire pot. Thanks!

Sorry I wasn't more clear...I don't have a cart for mine, just the nest.

Towels are a good idea or maybe some packing blankets wrapped around the eggs?
__________________
Smokers Purgatory

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 07-09-10
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTTLC View Post
Scrambled Egg = $342.00 for an XL base. Mine bit the dust going to Birmingham last year. Started backpeddling to figure out how to cook without it. 29th out of 30. Lesson learned. Egg nest history. I made a stand with 8" pneumatic wheels. Plate setter sits on trailer floor, inside components are separated by foam insulation for transport. As soon as the last piece of meat comes off shovel out the coals and leave the lid open so it will cool down for transport. It takes forever to cool down.
I knew I should have put the pneumatic wheels on! I didn't like the look so I went with a smaller 4" wheel that has a smaller rubber coating on the outside. A pain in the butt to wheel around on anything but concrete. Thanks for the tip on the coals!
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 07-09-10
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riblette View Post
Hey Kevin,

These cats do it... http://155south.com/page5.php?view=p...ory=3&image=14 They're good guys, too. You could probably contact Matt or Bram via their web site and they could tell you how.

We have 3 LG BGEs that we load on and off using this deal http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ECFFJ8/...&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

..best $25 I'm spent on gear.

That's a brillant setup by those guys. I could build a transporter and leave the heavier tables with concrete countertops at home (another think I fear of eventually breaking when traveling!!!!). Going to order one of those pot lifters, do you lift everything with it or still take out the fire box?
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

 
Gowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Cartersville, GA
Default

My team has competed on ceramics grills for the past 5 years. Keys to not breaking grills we've learned in that time:
  • Use a trailer with a ramp
  • Custom carts built for travel, not style
  • Pneumatic casters filled with solid foam or green slime
  • Ditch the ceramic feet
  • Prevent internal parts from moving vertically, either with rolled foam or a half bag of charcoal on the main grate
  • Use straps to secure grill and cart against motion in any direction during transit, especially up and down
  • And most importantly - obtain factory sponsorship and use their grills
Be aware that though they make terrrific patio cookers, ceramic smokers make a team work twice as hard as steel cooker teams do to follow the circuit. While you are horsing your 300 lb carts up a slippery ramp in the rain, the guy in the next site will close the doors on his Lang and drive home. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
nukenight
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 07-16-10
Location: Lafayette, LA
Default

You want to avoid ceramic-to-ceramic contact.... Use as much shock absorptive material as possible! I decided to avoid all of this and use a Backwoods and two barrel cookers for contests. My BGE stays at home.
nukenight is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 02-20-10
Location: Cochrane, On.
Default

The easiest method would be to get a WSM.
__________________
"When I was in Canada, I had a lot of time to think."- Doug Sahm
[B][COLOR=red]UDS x 5[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=red][B]Weber Performer[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Trainwreck
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 08-25-08
Location: Menomonee Falls, Wi
Default

I had 2-ceramics in a homemade cart that we had made. I bought a cheap roll of foam that was probably a 1/4 thick and 6" wide. I cut this into probably 6' long chunks and doubled it up. I then put this in between each layer of inside piece starting on the bottom of the cooker. I allways pulled my plate setter out and transported that in the back of the truck. I then strapped the handle to the bottom of my cart with bungee's and then straped the cookers to the cart with rachet straps. I never had anything break until the first time I di not do all of this. My fire pot cracked in 3-spots. This year I switched to a FEC as it was just a pain in the arse transporting these things all the time. Two in one cart = alot of weight to be manhandling at the end of contest even on large pneumatic tires. It can be done but it take alot of TLC to make sure they do not brake.
__________________
Andy /Fat Andy's Backyard BBQ/ FEC 100, 2-UDS, 2-Knockoff EGG's, Brinkman snp
Trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
KevinK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 07-09-10
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
I had 2-ceramics in a homemade cart that we had made. I bought a cheap roll of foam that was probably a 1/4 thick and 6" wide. I cut this into probably 6' long chunks and doubled it up. I then put this in between each layer of inside piece starting on the bottom of the cooker. I allways pulled my plate setter out and transported that in the back of the truck. I then strapped the handle to the bottom of my cart with bungee's and then straped the cookers to the cart with rachet straps. I never had anything break until the first time I di not do all of this. My fire pot cracked in 3-spots. This year I switched to a FEC as it was just a pain in the arse transporting these things all the time. Two in one cart = alot of weight to be manhandling at the end of contest even on large pneumatic tires. It can be done but it take alot of TLC to make sure they do not brake.
Sounds like at some point we will need to transition off of cooking on exclusively on BGEs which our entire team cooks on if we start doing a lot of comps. We are only doing 1-2 this year.
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts