The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Noob question - generator/power

Do the events provide power? For those that don't can you use your own generator? ( Honda quest unit)
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Most will have power. Some more reliable than others. If your generator is not too noisy you can use it. But if its loud your neighbors will be complaining, especially during quiet time

Never head of Honda quest. I use a Honda 3000i handi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Most competitions have power available, but a lot of times there is an additional cost for it.

I've never been to a comp where you couldn't use your own generator, but please be considerate of your neighbors and use a quiet generator. I'm not familiar with a Honda Quest generator. Did you mean quiet? Then you're fine. I've been at comps where someone tries using a construction generator and the reps have had to shut them down because it was so loud.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

yeah sorry it was to say "quiet", they really are quiet too, I think its one of the few that are camping forestry approved. Guess they have tough noise standards.

How big of a canopy do you get? 10x10 or???? what brand is the best?
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

10x10 is the standard. Some will use a single, some two or three, some will use a larger unit, some none at all or an RV canopy. All depends on your individual setup.

For example, my team uses a cargo trailer strictly for transport. We set up two 10x10s and connect them with spring clips to form a gutter between the tents. We use two tables inside the tents and one out back for our dish station.

Oh, and Amen on the quality Honda generators. I saw a guy using a Honda-branded generator at an event this weekend that was as loud as any other cheap contractor job. Everybody around that guy was hatin' life, lemme tell you.
CivilWarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Grizmt
Got Wood.

Honda and Yamaha make very good and very quiet inverter generators. The construction ones are not inverter and are very hard on electrical devices not to mention loud enough to raise the dead.
Every event we've ever been to has had power, most times for free (depending on how many amps you need) and when they charge it's usually expensive.

The one thing we've found is not all event power is "good" or clean power which can/will tear up your electronics due to spikes/drops. If we don't know the power provider (like Pro-Em in AZ) we won't use it for much, we'll just fire off the generator (a 6300 Yamaha). A few gallons of gas is way cheaper than replacing the stuff that bad electricity could destroy.
Grizmt is offline   Reply With Quote