The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Beggin for help

I need help with my competition BBQ. If you live in or near Memphis and know what it takes to win or at least place please PM me, I don't like not doing well at contests.
4uweque is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

A lot of the folks who are doing well consistently have taken comp classes. Some say the classes are the cost of doing one comp.If you spend the money on the class and practice the methods taught odds are it will accelerate your learning curve a bunch. I believe there are many members here who have spent the money and come winning right away also members who havent. I took a class this winter and we will see the difference it makes for us.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

So how did you do in your first or last contest?
What did the scores tell you?

Unread 03-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Step 1 - Realize that it doesn't matter what you like, only what the judges expect.

Step 2 - Either spend some money on instruction or spend even more money entering contests with trial and error.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

First thing you have to do is accept that there is no secret ingredient so the answer is not a one line reply on a BBQ board. There are flavor combinations and tips and tricks that a lot of people know, just like any other hobby or sport. If you are serious you need to spend some time around it and you will learn. Read all you can, take a class if you can, go to cook-offs and make friends, be humble and ask for help when you're there, and get some Blues Hog. Not every good team uses Blues Hog but a lot do.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I guess I should be a little more clear, I would never ask anyone to give me their secrets, but I would love if someone that lived near me could come over, eat some BBQ, maybe have a beer or two, and just give me an honest opinion, and tell me which areas need to be improved and a general direction to go. Someone with actual comp or judging experience. I have read forums and blogs until my eyes are blurry, I've cooked 3 days a week for a month, I have my timeline perfect. Everything goes smooth, no stress, no pressure, I just am trying to get better scores and I'm not really sure of a direction to go in. The Blues Hog suggestion is one I will try, thank you.
4uweque is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Classes are definately worth while. It is also beneficial to take a class to be a judge. To me most important go with the idea that you are there to have fun Good things will come
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4uweque View Post
I need help with my competition BBQ. If you live in or near Memphis and know what it takes to win or at least place please PM me, I don't like not doing well at contests.
Who does ?? lol
We all try are hardest to do well, compete..
But your a real winner if you enjoy the process, the friendships, the
time spent with family & friends having good food & laughs and memories that will last forever---thats the real prize my friend, at least for my team. Hey, & if you win/place thats great. When this stuff becomes more than fun & more like a business somebody just walk up to me & remind me of this qoute & i will gladly walk away because thats not why i entered this to begin with...........
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote