The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Default chicken skin required

When you do a turn in for thighs does it have to have the skin on it? If not does it effect your score if you don't? Never competed before but going to do a couple this year and want to practice how I would do a comp.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Ron_L

No, it's not required. Judges are supposed to judge what is in front of them, not hat isn't in the box. BUT, a lot of judges will assume, right or wrong, that if you don't turn in the skin then it wasn't cooked right and I have heard judges say that they marked down for that. They aren't supposed to, but apparently some do.

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

KCBS rules don't say you need skin, but it probably would do better with it than without.
Per the rules though, judges aren't supposed to use skin on or off as a criteria. If you don't eat chicken skin, as a judge, you are instructed to at least taste it, then discretly discard it

Edit: Looks like Ron beat me to the punch!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

No....not sure if it affects score, never tried it. I know people have had success with skinless...beats the alternative if you can't get it right!
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

as a judge, with skin or without doesn't matter to me, i'll judge what's turned in.

personally, i like skin.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

required? no.
recommended? yes. cooked properly, that is.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
nthole
Babbling Farker

What Ron said. Not required, they aren't supposed to judge down if you don't do it...but for the most part they seem to.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Unless a comment card comes back, how does anyone know if the score was bad specifically because of the lack of skin? Couldn't it just be that the chicken generally has more flavor with it on?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Just my humble opinion, but if you don't turn in skin, and I was a judge, I'd think that you couldn't cook the skin properly to make it bite thru, and I'd question your ability as a competitive BBQ cook. Therefore, I do not judge.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Unless a comment card comes back, how does anyone know if the score was bad specifically because of the lack of skin? Couldn't it just be that the chicken generally has more flavor with it on?
This is how...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Just my humble opinion, but if you don't turn in skin, and I was a judge, I'd think that you couldn't cook the skin properly to make it bite thru, and I'd question your ability as a competitive BBQ cook. Therefore, I do not judge.
Not picking on you, Podge! I have heard other judges make that same comment, plus if you follow the comments on boxes here and on the BBQ Critic site even Master Judges have said the same thing.

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
AZScott
Take a breath!

Skin is flavor. I wouldn't even consider turning in chicken without the skin.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Fat Freddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Last year we did skinless in the backyard contests we did and we did OK not great but not DAL. Now we have practiced only with skin on(we are skin scrapers though) and feel comfortable and will do skin on. Our thoughts were judges are supposed to judge what is presented but if they are expecting one thing and getting something else how will that affect us, thinking that way we decided skin on is way to go. It may not help us but unless not cooked right it sure wont hurt us with any judges to have skin on.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Hozman -

there are many resources here on the Brethren site and on the internet also that will give you good skin results. Best advice I can give is practice, practice, practice. You know you areon the right track when your family asks (when you tell them they are having chicken for dinner... again), "do we HAVE to have competition chicken again?!?!?!"

Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you can do well without skin but not consistently because of the reasons mentioned above.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Bite through skin is what we all strive to achieve..look at it like this if you land on a table with 5 other good entries with bite through and yours doesn't have skin it's not gonna be good day for your chicken..stick with what wins!..it's like Bigmista at the last comp with nothing but pulled..not knocking Neil my buddy here but he went against the grain and paid for it.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote