The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

Default Sams Club for Spectators

I've had several people ask me what the situation is at Sam's Club events for spectators... I could answer for most "normal" competitions, but what's going on for specs at the Sams Club Events?

Thanks in advance...

Nordy
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Last year they had a demo with Troy Black for spectators, so they (spectators) are more than welcome.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers and Grizzly Coolers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

There were quite a few in tampa. We were told not to give out samples but it was going on and the public loved it

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Dunno what is happening this year, but in Marietta in 2011 there were no public spectators beyond the people who had come to shop anyway and the Sam's Club employees themselves who had no idea what was going on.

EDIT - that was the Marietta, Georgia event, in the NW Atlanta metro area.

Last edited by Gowan; 03-22-2012 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: clarified location
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
El Pistolero

Troy Black is putting on his demonstrations as he did last year, beginning at about 1:00pm. Tyson is also there with wing samples, and one other group is there grilling steaks and passing out samples. Sampling is from 11:00am till 4:00pm.

TGCBA; IBCA; KCBS CBJ
'Original' Oklahoma Joe, 22" WSM, 'Matches my mood' [B]Black[/B] Thermapen

[URL="http://elpistolero.qwiksilver.com"]My Brews & Ques[/URL][/SIZE]
El Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Both years "spectators" have wandered into my tent and tried to sample something that was on my cutting board just about to be boxed.

This year was worse as I was right next to Troy's trailer. In fact, after informing them that I was not allowed to give out samples I then had to answer about why the others in my tent were eating.

After explaining that they were friends and family I was told that I was a liar and the extended palm remained out asking for chow. Calling me a liar and saying "gimme" is not the best technique for getting me to give in.

I considered whacking the spectator with my cutting board but figured hitting a 70 something year old woman would be frowned upon...
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Both years "spectators" have wandered into my tent and tried to sample something that was on my cutting board just about to be boxed.

This year was worse as I was right next to Troy's trailer. In fact, after informing them that I was not allowed to give out samples I then had to answer about why the others in my tent were eating.

After explaining that they were friends and family I was told that I was a liar and the extended palm remained out asking for chow. Calling me a liar and saying "gimme" is not the best technique for getting me to give in.

I considered whacking the spectator with my cutting board but figured hitting a 70 something year old woman would be frowned upon...
Funny, sounds like Laurel, MD. Not much for the public and boy were they mean when you said no.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), Natures Own Charcoal, Bee Sting Honey and BBQ Bob’s Hav’n a BBQ
Special thanks to Snake River Farms for the their support as well.
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

sounds like it'll be a 4 walls up kinda day.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Everybody was very respectfull in Traverse City and Indianapolis last year.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
sounds like it'll be a 4 walls up kinda day.
I think it really depends on where you are at. Last year I had a spot outside of everyone else facing the parking lot. Try to avoid this...

This year, I was right next to Troy's demo and 3 sample booths. Understandable for folks to walk up and think I was doing the same.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Nordy

Thanks for the info guys... Looking forward to it tomorrow... Sounds like building boxes inside the trailer or having "4 walls up" might not be a bad idea on Sat
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Without the spectators Sam's Club wouldn't even have this tournament.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Without the spectators Sam's Club wouldn't even have this tournament.
i'd strongly disagree. these are comps, not "events".

no PC, no vendors, no entertainment, no show, etc.

there is zero spectator draw.

if by spectators you mean sam's customers, well, then i'd agree. but they ain't there because we're cooking.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

So, why would Sam's Club do this event if they don't want spectators -- or at least don't want them to get free samples?

Wait, what was I thinking? The Walton's don't allow anyone to get something for free. I'm sure they only want to draw people into their stores to BUY things. If it doesn't make the Walton family richer, they want nothing to do with it.

My feeling is, let the participating teams give out samples, if they want to. If I were competing, I'd get almost as big a kick out of lots of people telling me they like my que, as I would get winning something.

Maybe this is yet another reason I don't feel drawn to competition BBQ.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

There were some vendors in Pittsburgh showing products, but very, very few people coming over to see what was going on in the parking lot. No problem with people begging for food when there are no spectators.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote