Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #31
is One Chatty Farker

Since this thread started, I've been trying to figure out a way to post my thoughts without it seeming like I was attacking the BOD. My general beliefs are not in line with this motion, but I don't want to place them each on a skewer for it. Still, I have a few comments....

As some one who works with data every day, I am a strong proponent of data retention. Under the mantra of "Disk space is cheap," countless times I have used historical data to help solve problems, whether those data are records in a database or past eMail communications to know who said what when. I have literally had to use both of those approaches within the past week, one to figure out an issue, and one to cover my behind on some actions I had taken. I believe in it.

In a past job, while working for one of the largest corporations in the world, we had a more strict data retention policy where the default behaviour was to delete all eMails 120 days after they had been sent. I found out that the reason for this policy was so that should any one be subpoenaed for any reason, they would not have data on hand in eMails which could be presented. Another approach I've seen is to cc: every single eMail sent or received to legal counsel so that it becomes privileged.

So that being said, I can understand the desire of some to purge records, even though they can be useful. The big question I have, and one which no one seems to have brought up, if legally CYA is the intent of purging records, what the heck are you doing? Proactively purging records so that it can't come back to haunt you, while maybe legal, indicates to me that there are things going on which shouldn't be. If you, and this applies to any one, are doing something that would be bad if it was brought up in court or a deposition, is the better answer to consider not doing it? A couple of extreme examples that come to mind are Hoover’s secretary deleting his personal file, and accounting firms shredding documents before they get subpoenaed. If the documents are bad, why do you have them? Just my thoughts....

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
somebody shut me the fark up.

In regards to destroy it or keep it, I will publicly state that my stance is that NO information should be destroyed for any reason. One could place five years or more worth of meeting notes on hard copy in one file drawer. One good sized file cabinet could probably hold every set of minutes of every meeting KCBS has ever held. And one hard drive could hold more MP3's than we'll ever produce. Storage should not be an issue. Not only do these things hold important details, they also are a history of our organization that is gone if destroyed. I will not be afraid to have anything I say in meetings preserved for as long as KCBS is in existence. Not that anyone cares what I say anyway but I'm just sayin'...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
This sounds like Watergate.

I can only say what we do at my law firm. We have a document retention policy. Real beotch if you conveniently destroy something and it goes to litigation....

As far as getting rid of all past meetings? Why not archive them? I just get what is so secretive that everyone has to cover their trails. Didn't seem like we had these problems when 'nepotism' was allowed in KCBS...
Is it possible that there is concern about a previous member of the board?
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #34
is One Chatty Farker

Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
Is it possible that there is concern about a previous member of the board?
Lol! Yes I'm sure this is Merl's fault.
Ray Lampe
The Honey Badger of BBQ. I just don't give a sh!t.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
is One Chatty Farker

Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
This sounds like Watergate.
That was my exact thoughts when I started reading this thread...
KCBS Member
Smoke-N-My-I's Competition BBQ Team
2 Chargriller SuperPros with SFB's(retired)
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote