The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
weihl165
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default help with book, competition orientated

I am thinking about trying a few of the BBQ competitions in my area this summer. I will be working a long slow day tomorrow, and will have a lot of free time on my hands. I won't have any internet connection, so I figured I would get a book to read. Any recommendation on a book that goes over competition and what to expect? I'm not looking for a recepie book. Thanks
weihl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Startin the Fire by one of our members, George Hensler who competes as Who Are Those Guys ?

http://www.startinthefire.com/

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
bdodd444
Knows what a fatty is.

I have to say by far the best I have read is the "Hot Grill on Grill Action" ebook. It is extremely detailed. I was initially put off by the price (39.95), but it is essentially the same level of detail as a class. It was very easy to download and transfer to my tablet. You could print it out as well.

When I first started, I bought "Competition BBQ Secrets". It was pretty good for someone who has never competed. I actually got two brisket calls using the exact recipe from the book. However, it does not compare to the Hot Grill on Grill book. Again the level of detail and photos are vey impressive.

I have heard good things about "Starting the Fire", but I haven't read it yet. Good luck, and maybe after a good book on addiction and compulsive behavior after your first comp! :)
bdodd444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

As an FYI, Starting the Fire will go over all the things you need to know about competing but does not cover recipes and cooking techniques. If that is what you are looking for then it is a good book. I haven't read Grill on Grill but if you are looking for recipes for cooking at the competition level, Wicked Good BBQ is the best I have read so far and I have read a bunch of them.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
weihl165
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Sweet thanks guys
weihl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
brownkw
On the road to being a farker

I concur with both of the suggestions. I have not read George's book but have heard nothing but good things about it. I have read the Hot Grill on Grill Action eBook and came away really impressed at the amount of detail in the book.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Okay, I have now purchased and read most of the Hot Grill on Grill Action eBook and I have found it to be very comprehensive and geared towards competition cooking from front to back. Great book!

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote