The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Default Advice on BGE Purchase

Hey all,
I have an opportunity to buy an XL BGE with cedar table (see pic below.) It is nearly brand new and has ZERO EGGcessories (platesetter, etc). Is it worth buying for $1,100? It is a 5 hour round trip drive to pick it up.

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 10.15.50 AM.png (116.4 KB, 268 views)

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

id offer 800, considering the drive. THey'll most likely counter with $1000 and you can settle on 900. Which is fair, but by no means a steal considering a 5 hour road trip. Fuel costs and personal time tally well over $200 in my book

Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
tdwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Private seller? If so, no warranty. Just something to consider.

If you do get, let me know, I'm pretty much around the corner from the seller (okay, 20 minutes away).

22" WSM, 18.5" WSM, One-touch Silver, Chargriller Offset, Customized Red-Head Performer (under restoration), Gensis S-320 Gasser
tdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Walker. That is a very good point about the warranty. I am thinking I will pass since the price is $1,100 and has no warranty. The table is what makes it a good deal but not worth it IMHO to have no warranty or eggcessories.

Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired

Old 03-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

before completely forgetting about it throw out an absurd lowball offer, think $500 range, if he bites it's more than worth the drive and risk of no warranty. The xl egg and table like that is worth well over $1500

Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd say that is a decent price with the table. Though if I were him I wouldn't drop the price just because you have to drive far (since that isn't his issue in all honesty and probably won't have much issue selling it to someone closer) so don't expect that. But I would still try and offer around $800 to get him down maybe another $100-$150ish. You can low ball if you want, but I normally hang up on people that low ball me .
3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

you ever watch pawn stars? Low balling is the only way to start a negotiation.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
redvert05
Full Fledged Farker

Ya'll don't want my opinion of Pawn Stars!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
eggzlot
Full Fledged Farker

I'd be careful. I do not think it is that much of a deal especially given the fact of no warranty. I think the price of the XL egg went up, so its about $1,100 or so new. That includes the stainless steel grate, better dome thermo, etc plus warranty.

The table is nice, but is it a home made table, one from the BGE corporate office or another builder? Just curious as to the actual "value" of the table. If you are handy, you can build a table on your own pretty easily. Is the table worth losing the warranty plus some of the "older" egg features like the older grate, dome thermo, etc.

as others said, dont underestimate 5 hours of driving / gas costs. If you are getting an XL Egg + table, you'll likely need a pick up truck, do you have one, or do you need to rent a Uhaul or something? All small things to consider.

As others suggested, offer a lower amount.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I just saw an xl by me without the table but with a nest for 450. I'd argue him down. 1100 is steep.
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Yea, I passed on the deal. Too far to be worth it for me. I am sure he will find a local buyer that will find more value in it.

Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired

Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Trumpstylz, Man, I sure hope you bought it or at least posted it here for another brother. That's a heck of a deal!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Like another poster said, the warranty is only for the original purchaser and the dealer keeps a record of same. I've owned my BGE for over ten years and the fire bowl cracked to the point I had to replace. Called the dealer and they verified ownership, ordered a replacement. I only had to pay shipping. Paying almost full price for a used egg without a warranty? That along with the 5 hour drive, to me is not worth it. Another question you might ask is do you need the XL ? The large is very adequate for most backyard cooks and small gatherings IMO. Not sure what your needs are but just offering my 2 cents. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPig View Post
Like another poster said, the warranty is only for the original purchaser and the dealer keeps a record of same. I've owned my BGE for over ten years and the fire bowl cracked to the point I had to replace. Called the dealer and they verified ownership, ordered a replacement. I only had to pay shipping. Paying almost full price for a used egg without a warranty? That along with the 5 hour drive, to me is not worth it. Another question you might ask is do you need the XL ? The large is very adequate for most backyard cooks and small gatherings IMO. Not sure what your needs are but just offering my 2 cents. Good luck.
Thanks. I learned the hardway that when it comes to grills/smokers... buy the largest you can afford.

Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired

Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
Thanks. I learned the hardway that when it comes to grills/smokers... buy the largest you can afford.
My wife actually demanded the XL when I went to purchase my BGE. I was all set to get the Large, convinced it was all I needed. She already wasn't real big on the idea of the BGE to begin with, but if that was what I had to have, she wanted to make sure it would work for us in all situations.

We entertain somewhat frequently, and it's not altogether uncommon for us to have anywhere from 15-30 people over. Well, like so many things, she was right. For us the XL was the way to go. Sometimes I wish it was even larger.

It's a bit more than we need for just our everyday family cooks, but having that extra capacity available when we need it, more than makes up for the extra added cost. Plus it enables me to have direct, and indirect zones on smaller cooks. All at once I can cook meat and the veggies and the bread and the...

Trust me, if you get an XL, you'll find a way to fill it up.
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote