The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Comp. Presentations

Please critique and throw me a score .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111_0445.jpg (60.4 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg 111_0446.jpg (63.2 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 111_0447.jpg (52.0 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2914.jpg (69.3 KB, 305 views)
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry trying to get more ribs. Brisket and pork boxes posted
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Well, I don't want to sound too bossy , but I'll offer an appearance opinion. Low 9, Solid 9, High 8, 8
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
1 FAT HOG BBQ
Got Wood.

8,9,9,9, Really like the grill marks on the last chicken. great job!

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
bbq.tom
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

7 - Unknown meat source - assuming it to be chicken - Too much sauce and not spread evenly (it may be just me, but I truly don't like little skin covered blobs of chicken parts)
9 - not perfect, but excellent - a bit dark in some places, but VERY appetizing to me - looks moist - I like the stand-alone rib to see the side!
7 - WAY TOO MUCH SAUCE! I like the idea of several different types of pork in the box, but lighten up on the sauce!
9 - Looks like chicken (that is a GOOD thing!) - looks moist and appetizing!
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
ribsrdone
Got Wood.

Default scores

8 9 9 8 Blotchy then great then great then a little inconsistent in size. All in all good looking food. I also like the tiger stripes. They all met my most important criteria, Do they make me want to taste them?
ribsrdone is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I'm in a pissy mood tonight so I may be overly critical, but from top to bottom, 7, 9, 7, 8

The top chicken the sauce looks too thick and is blobbed in places plus when I see a box where the pieces are trimmed that small I think they should all be the same size and shape.

The ribs look great. An extra rib at the bottom (move the lone rib up) would make the box look fuller.

The sauce is too thick on the pork and takes away from the meat. I suspect that if the sauce was left off or just a light glaze it would be a 9.

The bottom chicken looks good and makes me want to try a piece. Since the pieces are natural shaped I'm not as bothered as much by the difference in size and shape. the sauce still looks too thick and there are obvious brush marks. Try thinning the sauce a little so it flows better.

On all of the boxes try to clean up the garnish. The top three could use some more to bring the meat up in the box to show it off, and the edges are sloppy. The bottom one may have a little too much and the edges are sloppy. Even though the judges aren't supposed to score on garnish think of it as a frame that can highlight the meat, or distract from it.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

The only issues I see are sauce looks gloopy and inconsistent on the first chicken and the pork box. Could be an effect exaggerated by the camera flash though.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I'm in a pissy mood tonight so I may be overly critical, but from top to bottom, 7, 9, 7, 8

The top chicken the sauce looks too thick and is blobbed in places plus when I see a box where the pieces are trimmed that small I think they should all be the same size and shape.

The ribs look great. An extra rib at the bottom (move the lone rib up) would make the box look fuller.

The sauce is too thick on the pork and takes away from the meat. I suspect that if the sauce was left off or just a light glaze it would be a 9.

The bottom chicken looks good and makes me want to try a piece. Since the pieces are natural shaped I'm not as bothered as much by the difference in size and shape. the sauce still looks too thick and there are obvious brush marks. Try thinning the sauce a little so it flows better.

On all of the boxes try to clean up the garnish. The top three could use some more to bring the meat up in the box to show it off, and the edges are sloppy. The bottom one may have a little too much and the edges are sloppy. Even though the judges aren't supposed to score on garnish think of it as a frame that can highlight the meat, or distract from it.
I mostly agree with Ron_L's points, other than I may have scored the first chicken a 8, the blotchy sauce kept it from being a 9. The bottom chicken looks good but the boldness of the grill marks may make judge #5 give you that WTF score . Also the pork box is laid out nice but the sauce overwhelms it.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
tdwalker
On the road to being a farker

Another one in agreement with Ron, 7,9,7,8.

22" WSM, 18.5" WSM, One-touch Silver, Chargriller Offset, Customized Red-Head Performer (under restoration), Gensis S-320 Gasser
tdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post
I mostly agree with Ron_L's points, other than I may have scored the first chicken a 8, the blotchy sauce kept it from being a 9. The bottom chicken looks good but the boldness of the grill marks may make judge #5 give you that WTF score . Also the pork box is laid out nice but the sauce overwhelms it.
^^I am another one in agreement with Ron_L's scores.^^
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

another 7 9 7 8

Unread 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

First chicken - 7 Sloppy sauce, shapes and sizes not consistent (compare upper left to middle)

Ribs - 8 Very nice looking ribs, but too much green. With that size ribs, I would put more in the box (12 would fit nicely)

Pork - 7 Too much sauce, sloppy sauce, uneven spacing on the money muscle slices. Lots of bark is good.

Second chicken 7 Grill marks are so defined they look artificial, shapes not consistent (compare upper left to lower right) The glaze and color look good.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Craig0648
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

Great critique! Couldn't agree more.
Craig0648 is offline   Reply With Quote