The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Starting a new bbq competition

I was thinking about organizing a bbq competition to raise money and to promote RioFest, an arts/music fest that I volunteer for. Due to crow control, I dont want a bbq event during the festival but was thinking about doing one in the fall(2006). RioFest is in April.

Anyway, I know I can contact a state bbq association for how to organize an event, but my question is, can you make money running an event?

To be worthwhile, we would need to make a little net profit the 1st year and make between 5-10 K after that.

Is that realistic? What ratio of money comes from contestants/sponsors?

Unread 07-31-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Default RE: Starting a new bbq competition

We do organize a number of Competition through out the year and you can raise money if you can have the foot traffic. It takes you setting up vending to sale to the crowds. Call if you like more ideas.
888-527-7661
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

If we did a competition during the festival, what size of footprint do you need?

Unread 07-31-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

There's a god article on the KCBS Web site about organizing contests. I didn't read really close but remember something about it saying if you're looking to make a profit from it, you're in trouble from the beginning. It's partly about sanctioning... here's the link:

http://www.kcbs.us/sanctioning.jsp
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

We do a competition at the Pike Place Market in Seattle we had foot traffic of 45000 for the day, in 3 1/2 hours we did sandwich sales that raised $5K serving one sandwich every 19 seconds. If you spread that over a day or two you can raise a good chunk of change.
Remember the 45000 was for their whole day and we only were drawing off of the traffic in that 3 1/2 hour period.
Where you setup and the number of other food venders will make a difference in your success.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote