The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Burnt Ends

Does anyone out there make Burnt Tips when smoking a brisket? I haven't read much about the how to's and was wondring how to! I usually just chop and shread my brisket point for chili but would like to try the Burnt Tip with one. So if any of you do this, lets hear how it's done.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: Burnt Tips

Actually, it's burnt ends! :D

They are a "natural" progression in the cooking of a brisket. The edges and "corners" will tend to get "overdone" and these are the burnt ends. You can also seperate the flat from the point when it's done and put the point back in the heat to develop more "bark" and burnt ends.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Neil, Burnt Ends, as they're called here, are my favorite, so I'll tell you what I know.
Traditionally, BE's would be made from the point of a brisket cooked whole. When the flat is done, the two are separated and the point is trimmed of excess fat and any developed bark, rerubbed and cooked another 4-6 hrs. This is how they are best, but not the only way to do it.
Burnt Ends are just cubes of cooked point (ocassionally you'll find a few chunks of flat thrown in as well). When a point is done its quite squishy, you want to cook it a little longer than that, until it starts to firm up a bit again. Not too much longer or they'll be too dry. A real (KC style anyway) end should be on the verge of dry, VERY smoky and best with a little sauce (spicy for me).
You can separate the flat and point before you begin to cook and get a decent end, but the very best stuff will come from a resmoked point.
Best of luck!!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Actually, it's burnt ends!
Around here you'll see the terms, tips, burnt ends, and brownies all used. All mean the same thing, brisket heaven!!

Unread 07-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Neil

I am going to try it this weekend since I have a nice sized point in the fridge from the 14#er I smoked last weekend.

What size should the "cubes" be or does it really matter? I remember seeing on TV where they went to Arthur Bryant's in KC and they showed them pouring copious amounts of sauce over the BE's in foil pan then back in the smoker for a while. How much longer after you cube the point do you cook it further?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.

Unread 07-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #6
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Neil,

We actually turn in burnt ends with our slices at competitions. Sometimes we do well sometimes not.

We will separate the point from the flat before we cook it. The point will go in a couple of hours before the flat. About the time we take the flat out for a rest in the cooler we will chunk up the point (maybe 3/4" to 1-1/4" chunks), re-season them and put them back in the smoker while the flat is resting. We will add a sauce right before turn-in to the slices and the burnt ends.

My favorite part of the brisket.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Neil

Thank you Meathead, that's what I will do this weekend.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Unread 07-30-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Neil, the trick is to cook the point long enough to render out the large amount of collagen and fat in the point so it doesn't taste greasy, yet not get it totally dried out.

BTW-your thread got my BE jones going, had to order some from the local Q-joint last night mmmmmm :D

Unread 07-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

I've been successful making BE's a couple of times and they just ROCK. Yeah they're a little dry, a little hard, but break 'em up and slather 'em with sauce? YEE-HA!

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
YLBILL
Knows what a fatty is.

OK that does it!! Thanks alot guys! I wasn't gonna cook this weekend so I could sleep in, but between the Fatty thread and this one I'm starvin'! On my way to the store now, start smokin' @ 5AM. Sleep is overated anyway.

NB,Weber Kettle,Viking Gas Grill,Klose BYC
It is what it is!
YLBILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Neil

I threw that point I smoked last weekend into the oven this morning for a couple of hours foiled at 200*. I then removed all of the fat and cubed the meat. Sunday afternoon after I get back from DeKalb I will re rub the cubes and smoke for a couple of hours on the Weber Performer then add sauce. Looking forward to Sunday evening.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Unread 07-30-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Great thread, I usually only slice off the overdone crusty parts and call them burnt ends, but this adds some refinement and opportunity for experimentation to the brisket process. Cant wait to try making burnt ends out of the point.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

I saw the BE from OK Joe's in KC on the food show. They cook the whole Brisket and when the flat is at their "secret temp", they cut off the point and re-rup and smoke the point 3-4 more hrs (no Probe this is where the pit boss experience comes into play). Then trim off the fat and the cut the point into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes, pour on their sauce and serve. It is their best seller according to the owner. The owner said they had tried smaller cubes but the customers like the bigger cubes better, they like to have something to chew was his guess.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2005, 03:33 AM   #14
Neil

Made the burnt ends last night and they were fantastick. I'll be cooking whole packers from now on just so I can do the burnt ends with the point.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Unread 08-01-2005, 05:33 AM   #15
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: RE: Burnt Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Made the burnt ends last night and they were fantastick. I'll be cooking whole packers from now on just so I can do the burnt ends with the point.
Where's the pics?
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote