The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
JerBQ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Dragon Toes

Hey Brethren, Last night I saw a great looking item on "Heat Seekers" on Food network. In case you've never seen it, it's the show where two buddies try to out-do each other eating the hottest of the hot they can find. Anyways, they were in Santa Fe, NM and experienced "Dragon Toes" at one restaurant they visited. They consisted of Habanero peppers (cored out), stuffed with a scallop, wrapped with bacon, skewered to hold together and were put in a 450 oven for about 15 minutes. When the bacon is done, they are ready. Looked delicious, but as a recovering chili-head I was thinking I would try these with a Jalepeno instead of the H word. Last time I tangled with a real live Habanero it gave me a bloody nose. Long story, a little gun shy now. Anyways, I've read about (and made) lots of ABT's with varying ingredients thanks to inspiration gained here. Has anyone done something similar to these little napalm lollipops?? If so, does roasting the Habs mellow out the heat like seems to happen when I use Japs? Obviously coring them out removes lots of the heat in the form of seeds and membranes, but still...they looked pretty frickin' hot when the guys were eating them. Also wondering what the texture of the scallop is like since they were using the doneness of the bacon as the end point. I suppose I could do a recipe search on here, but I thought I'd throw it out there and stir up some discussion. I'm thinking maybe a little maple syrup glaze at the very end might be a nice touch as well.... Any thoughts?

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Soaking jalapeños in sprite overnight after you've cored them out will help reduce the heat. Not sure if that also works with habaneros too. Just rinse the peppers after soaking them with water.

That sounds like a good waste of a scallop in my opinion. Habaneros are too hot to me so I doubt I'd be able to eat them after cooking in a cores out habanero. Even in a jalapeño I woul make sure to at least season the scallop with a little garlic salt and pepper as the jalapeño and bacon will only give you so much flavor.

That's just my two cents.

Good luck though and let us know how it turns out if you make them.

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
JerBQ

Great idea on the Sprite soak, I'll try that. And the wife made the same observation about wasting good scallops. Hmmmmm, maybe I'll try on a very small scale first.

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I find that once you core them and remove the seeds and 'ribs' there is no heat whatsoever. That being said, I love spicy food so I might be numb to something that mild.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I watched that show also and those did look really good, but I agree that Hab had to make that thing just blazing
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I've done abt's stuffed with shrimp, you really couldn't taste the shrimp with all of the other flavors.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
PitRow
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerBQ View Post
Great idea on the Sprite soak, I'll try that. And the wife made the same observation about wasting good scallops. Hmmmmm, maybe I'll try on a very small scale first.
Another idea similar to sprite... capsaicin is soluble in oil, so you might try soaking it with some olive oil and then rinsing it out good, maybe rinsing it with sprite.

It's also highly soluble in alcohol, but a rinse with good whiskey just seems like a waste of good whiskey

Just an idea.

Oh, and finally, it's also very soluble in fats, so some whole milk or cream will rinse the capsaicin away pretty quick.
PitRow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I am wondering how much the bacon and pepper would shield the scallop from being overdone. Higher heat for less time? Something like broiling might get the bacon done faster before the scallop got overcooked?

But then too maybe they were too busy *enjoying* the heat from the hab to notice how far along the scallop was cooked.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
Another idea similar to sprite... capsaicin is soluble in oil, so you might try soaking it with some olive oil and then rinsing it out good, maybe rinsing it with sprite.

It's also highly soluble in alcohol, but a rinse with good whiskey just seems like a waste of good whiskey

Just an idea.

Oh, and finally, it's also very soluble in fats, so some whole milk or cream will rinse the capsaicin away pretty quick.
What about soaking them in whiskey and then...drinking that whiskey?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
PitRow
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
What about soaking them in whiskey and then...drinking that whiskey?
Habanero Whiskey! I might just have to try that!
PitRow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
Habanero Whiskey! I might just have to try that!
I like to put a sliced Scotch Bonnet pepper in a glass of Anejo Tequila. The pepper's oil heats the tequila up nicely. I then finish it off by eating the pepper.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
tish
Babbling Farker

I'll have to remember this for when my son gets home from A-stan. He's always complaining that food advertised as "hot, hot, hot", or "5-alarm", doesn't taste hot to him at all. I'm thinking this recipe ought to fix his little red wagon.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
<'\__!
.// .\\ Puppy baby says 'piss on it and walk away!'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Personally, I'd like my scallops cooked a little longer, especially since they're inside the pepper and wrapped with bacon.
I don't know about the habaneros, but for jalapenos, if you clean out all of the seeds and ribs, stuff them and cook them for about an hour at 350, most all the heat is gone. If you want a bit more heat, cook them for 45 minutes, and more heat, for about 30 minutes. If you're still wanting to bring the heat, leave a few seeds in there.
A Stok Tower grill
And, a gasser for the quick and dirty.
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Actually the Dragon Toes were from a place called "Six Feet Under" here in Atlanta. Santa Fe was the second show.
I've never tried them before, but I told the wifey that we are heading there soon!

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
JerBQ

Dang! I was off by about 1300 miles or so and a whole different episode. Stupid NyQuil had me dozing off and all messed up.