The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default BGE - A couple of questions?

I'm in the market for a XL Big Green Egg. One thing that sold me is that of all the Kamado's on the market, BGE probably has the best chance of being around in 10-20 years? I'm going shopping either next weekend, or the weekend after. Not sure if i'm going to place it into a normal woooden table, or have a brick/rock table built for it.

After spending hours last night doing internet research, here are some quesions that I'm pondering. I want to do this once, so I'm trying to make sure I don't have buyers remorse.

Here are some questions for current BGE owners:

It sounds like the BGE is being shipped with a known defect (Inferior gasket). Why would they not do a simple fix and include a higher end gasket on new models?

Do many dealers offer setup? Is this option something I should expect?

If I have a brick stand built with an area to place the egg instead of a circle cut into a table top, will the BGE wobble when I lift the lid?
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
TOPPER-Q
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
TOPPER-Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-14-12
Location: panama city beach fla.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Tort,
I own a lrg BGE, and have owned it for 20 years. Have replaced every thing on it except for the outside. Have replaced the gasket twice. It takes a putty knife, ten minutes, and abot twenty bucs, and SHAZAM!!!! new egg. The " re-do " cost me 325.00 and that included a cast iron grill and indirect heat shield, plus all the guts. The worst thing was I lost 20 years of seasoning. That " re-do " was performed 1 month ago. Yes they will set it up for you, and the brick idea is a bad idea, just for the fact that if it did fall you would have a 1300.00.-1400.00 scrambled egg. get the table and put on casters, and you'll never look back.
P.S. use only lump, and don't use lighter fluid ever.
TOPPER-Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
Big George's BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-07-08
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Not everyone has a problem with the gasket. For those who have had gasket burnout some replaced it others have not. Mine is partially gone and the Egg still works like a champ. As long as the area is flat that you are resting the Egg on I doupt it will wobble They are pretty heavy. It is a good idea to raise the egg a little for air flow- yopu can use the 3 ceramic feet that come with the Egg, or use some washers. I have a large and love it. Remember to break it in with a low temp cook- this helps the gasket. Have fun
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
deepsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-10
Location: Biloxi, MS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

i've had my large egg for years now and i'm still on my first gasket. my mini is still on it's original gasket. only my small that i bought used has a fried gasket, fried by the guy that owned it before me. the top is also offset a bit, which i expect might have caused the fried gasket, but i haven't been bothered to mess with any of it yet as it hasn't affected any of my cooks.
__________________
Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Weber 22.5 OTG, yellow thermapen, pink thermapen (no shame in my game)

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
Big George's BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-07-08
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Are you talking about a brick platform or something to place the Egg in that is surrounded by at least 3 sides- the latter is what I thought you meant
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
swibirun
is one Smokin' Farker

 
swibirun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-21-09
Location: Knoxville, TN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I have had my Egg going on 4 years now. My original gasket had some issues after six months. I got a replacement but despite cooking on it 3-4 times a week ever since (high temps and low/slow) I haven't felt the need to replace it. My wife has had her Large Egg 1 1/2 years and it's gasket is still in perfect shape.

As far as the wobble, I have both of ours sitting on a paver in a table with a circle cut out for it and have no wobble issues. Not sure how the XL does in a similar situation.
__________________
Chris
Knoxville, TN
two Big Green Eggs (large)
Vision Grills kamado
Custom offset smoker trailer
and too many grills to list
www.nibblemethis.com
swibirun is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

 
R2Egg2Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-15-10
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Not sure about why BGE sticks with the stock gasket. They will send you a free Nomex gasket that handles higher heat as a replacement if you fry yours & you call them. My stock gaskets lasted about 1 1/2 yrs.

The XL does NOT come with the ceramic feet. It apparently has something to do with the distance between them being too great with the weight & concerns over the center of the bottom being unsupported. If the brick is level there should be no wobble. You'll find you won't fling the lid open anyway as doing so can send your metal top flying off.

I know Eggs By The Bay offers a delivery option but I don't know the price. If you haven't checked them out I'd recommend you do. Eggfest is on June 23rd in your city. I'll be cooking there on an XL. Hope to see you there.
__________________
-John

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker
 
CrackerJack from KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-15-08
Location: Overland Park, KS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Well I have had an XL BGE for about 2 weeks, and considering the cost of the thing, replacing a gasket for $30 is not something you should worry about. I would have continued to use the old gasket if it wasnt about 10 years old and leaked out the back.

(btw, if you do get an XL BGE and replace the gasket, unhook the springs before you do it.)
__________________
XL BGE - adopted 2/24/12
a pair of 18.5" WSMs
Weber OTG 26.75"
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
Big George's BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-07-08
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If there is an Eggfest in your area see about getting a Demo if they are not already spoken for You can save some money that way
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 08-22-09
Location: Littleton, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Egg2Q View Post
Not sure about why BGE sticks with the stock gasket. They will send you a free Nomex gasket that handles higher heat as a replacement if you fry yours & you call them. My stock gaskets lasted about 1 1/2 yrs.

The XL does NOT come with the ceramic feet. It apparently has something to do with the distance between them being too great with the weight & concerns over the center of the bottom being unsupported. If the brick is level there should be no wobble. You'll find you won't fling the lid open anyway as doing so can send your metal top flying off.

I know Eggs By The Bay offers a delivery option but I don't know the price. If you haven't checked them out I'd recommend you do. Eggfest is on June 23rd in your city. I'll be cooking there on an XL. Hope to see you there.
I've had mine 4 years now and had a gasket problem at the beginning. It was a dealer issue. As for getting a new one, this is the email I got from them today as I need to replace mine again. I think I'll jsut do a rutland gasket.

"The gasket is considered a normal wear item and should be replaced regularly (yearly). We do have a nomex or high heat gasket available now. You can purchase one from your local dealer or from the Big Green Egg retail store. I am sorry but this is not a warranty item that I can provide you free of cost.


Sincerely,


Duane"

I asked why they don't use a quality gasket from the get go but he didn't answer that question.

I still love my BGE but the gasket is the only problem with it. Just frustrating that it's so simple and inexpensive yet that's the place that gets ignored from the manufacturing standpoint.
__________________
Pepperhead, Large BGE, Masterbuilt 7 in 1, Charmglow Gasser
Abelman is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
smokeylips
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 02-21-12
Location: Tualatin, OR
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Before you buy check out http://www.komodokamado.com They are works of art with top notch customer service!!! You wouldn't be disappointed. I have had mine 2 years no problems but anyone that has the smallest issue he's there for you.
smokeylips is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Are you talking about a brick platform or something to place the Egg in that is surrounded by at least 3 sides- the latter is what I thought you meant

Yes. I was talking about a brick enclosure surrounded by 3 sides.
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
If there is an Eggfest in your area see about getting a Demo if they are not already spoken for You can save some money that way
I thought about doing that, but I've been wanting to play with a Kamado for awhile now, and the weather is turning "Bbq perfect".

I rationalize for a long time, but once I make a purchase decision, it's usually a short time until I get what I want. The Eggfest isn't until the end of June...(Insert impatient mod).
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelman View Post
I've had mine 4 years now and had a gasket problem at the beginning. It was a dealer issue. As for getting a new one, this is the email I got from them today as I need to replace mine again. I think I'll jsut do a rutland gasket.

"The gasket is considered a normal wear item and should be replaced regularly (yearly). We do have a nomex or high heat gasket available now. You can purchase one from your local dealer or from the Big Green Egg retail store. I am sorry but this is not a warranty item that I can provide you free of cost.


Sincerely,


Duane"

I asked why they don't use a quality gasket from the get go but he didn't answer that question.

I still love my BGE but the gasket is the only problem with it. Just frustrating that it's so simple and inexpensive yet that's the place that gets ignored from the manufacturing standpoint.
This is amazing to me.

Considering this is a higher end purchase and the fact that there is a lot of competition entering the market, you would think the BGE company would be smart enough to solve this problem by including a better gasket.

I'll bet BGE could take a $50 price increase and advertise that the new and improved egg now comes with a high temp long lasting gasket.

The gasket issue has been one of my biggest considerations on why I have waited this long to purchase. It sounds like it's the only flaw on the egg. It may be an easy fix, but after spending all that money....why should it even be something you need to think about?
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-04-11
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylips View Post
Before you buy check out http://www.komodokamado.com They are works of art with top notch customer service!!! You wouldn't be disappointed. I have had mine 2 years no problems but anyone that has the smallest issue he's there for you.
I thought about this for a long time. When I consider the cost of an enclosure for an egg plus the cost of the egg itself, it's probably more expensive to buy the egg!

But, 20 years down the road, I'm betting the BGE company still makes parts for their cooker. Do you think the KomodoKamado will be around in 20 years?
tortaboy is online now   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts