ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #391
hogsfan
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I asked a manager at my local Lowes today if they were going to be discontinuing the CGK and he told me no and that they were selling very well, so there is conflicting information there somewhere.
I happened to ask a manager here (Dallas) 2 weeks ago whether this was a temporary item (because they were running low and I didn't want to miss out) and he said there was no rush because it was going to be a permanent part of their inventory going forward.
hogsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #392
captndan
is Blowin Smoke!

Well I caved in yesterday and went to Lowe's. They had a Kamado the other day and I decided to grab it. It was gone. The DC is out and have 1000 on order. I don't know how many DC's there are across the country. The DC was advised it would be 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. The assistant manager did find one at another store and had it shipped to the store here. For my inconvenience they offered to assemble it for nothing. Can't beat that. Lowes also has free delivery on all grills and accessories over $295. So with a 10% discount I paid $294 for the Kamado assembled and delivered. Can't beat that either. Guarantied delivery by 4/2.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #393
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

I sure hope they are keeping them around. They look fantastic....
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #394
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Just got home from picking up one of these myself. Can't wait to get it together and try it out.

Unread 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #395
AZ Smoker
On the road to being a farker

Fred Myer/Frys Grocery Stores now carry them as well. $299

My local one h as 3 on the floor and 4 in boxes.
AZ Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #396
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

went to lowe's yesterday and saw it. For the price, it's nice I guess. But build quality is just not there. The lid felt cheap and flimsy. The top damper assembly didn't look well built. I guess you get what you pay for.

Unread 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #397
captndan
is Blowin Smoke!

I sure hope you're wrong. No disrespect intended cuz I just bought one and haven't seen it yet.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #398
DodgeCity
Found some matches.

Default Happy Char-Griller

Bought mine last Sat and seasoned her up and cooked ribs and a chuck on Sunday. I was impressed in the quality of build and the purchase price. Great addition to the patio. No mods done yet and she was a breeze to keep locked in at the desired temps. Gonna do some chicken this Sunday.

Oh and the wife is really happy, small investment for good turnout!
DodgeCity is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #399
hogsfan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
went to lowe's yesterday and saw it. For the price, it's nice I guess. But build quality is just not there. The lid felt cheap and flimsy. The top damper assembly didn't look well built. I guess you get what you pay for.
I bet the lid "felt cheap and flimsy" because you are used to lifting a ceramic lid. Double walled steel is lighter and feels less substantial but that doesn't make it flimsy. I agree with you about the top vent, but there is still alot to like about the design. I like that it doesn't switch settings when you open the lid like some of the ceramic cookers. I also think it will do a reasonably good job of keeping rain out.

Unread 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #400
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
The one I looked at in the store wasn't properly assembled, which gave it alot of play.

Unread 03-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #401
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
I also think it will do a reasonably good job of keeping rain out.
I haven't bought a cover for it yet, and we had two very heavy thunderstorms last weekend. When I emptied the ash pan I got a little surprise! About two cups of water had collected through the lower vent and I dumped most of it on me

Learned my lesson! It's covered now!

--Mike

Unread 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #402
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Are you sure you saw the right one? I was in Gander Mt. yesterday and they had one with wood shelves and the SS top vent. Not good quality there. Mine is much better and works OK.

I just need to learn what I can use the little bugger for.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #403
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

im assuming it was just because it wasn't put together properly. But the damper top was definitely cheap stamped black metal. Not stainless. It's a nice looking cooker. Im sure it's efficient. Accessory wise I'm sure companies will start producing stuff on par with what they've done for inside the egg.

Unread 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #404
hogsfan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelsmoker View Post
I haven't bought a cover for it yet, and we had two very heavy thunderstorms last weekend. When I emptied the ash pan I got a little surprise! About two cups of water had collected through the lower vent and I dumped most of it on me

Learned my lesson! It's covered now!

--Mike
Good to know! Thanks for sharing that. Goes to show you what happens when I make assumptions!

Unread 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #405
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 15

Quote:
I wouldn't say that to the UDS guys.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado