The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hey, no peeking!

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Brian in Maine
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Made it to today and I really liked the overall flavor. The liquid smoke wasn't too pronounced, and there was nice balance of sweet/sour/heat.

However, when I saw the amount of dried thyme I kind of cringed, as I'm not a huge fan of dried thyme unless it's mixed with some other dried herbs (like in a canjun spice blend).
I love fresh thyme but I find dried to be a litle overpowering, but that's just a personal preference. I went with the amount in the recipe and it was too much for me. It's still winter so I didn't have any fresh thyme growing, but next time I will use fresh thyme and let it simmer for a bit to infuse the flavor (or use just use about 1/4 of the amount of dried).

That's an easy tweak though, and as I stated it's more of a personal thing, I'm just really sensitive to the taste of it. I'll be making this again for sure!
I had given up on making sauce, as I had made many, and not found one that I wanted to make again, until I made this one. When I have a lunch at work for my clients and co-workers, I usually will have this sauce, and a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's. I can't remember the last time The SBR was opened.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
2dumb2kwit
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
OK OK I'll give it a shot with the liquid smoke. Dr. BBQ is the man and if he says add liquid smoke I'm adding liquid smoke. And I'll toss the 10 year old bottle and buy a new one.
Did you hide the bottle, so no one could see you buying it? LOL

BTW....what book? I may need that one.

(Edit; I just found his homepage.)

Unread 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

I said I would never use liquid smoke for anything then my son made Chris Lily's sauce from his book. We both own a book and share cook success back and forth. The Memphis-style championship red sauce uses liquid smoke.It is delicious. So I took away from that experience that it is a good idea to try a recipe as it is written first. Then make adjustments to you own taste.

Unread 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Hey, no peeking!

Lurkin