The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ground clearance

the trailer smoker im building now there is only *" of space from bottom of fire boxes to ground, i think they may hit, ill post pics later im at work now, and they are about a total of 30" from rear axle.
question is what kinda ground clearance do you guys have on your trailer pits? and do they hit pulling in and out of parking lots and such?
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
crb478
Knows what a fatty is.

With my trailer leveled I have 19 inches to the bottom of my firebox, 11 inches to the bottom of my jacks that are below the firebox and 6 1/2 inches clearence at the axle. So for I have not had any clearence problems in any parking lots or even cutting through fields. Hope this helps.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

ok o basically 11 inches then? yeah im a little worried i may have to jack it up a bit, my issue is that the top shelves are approx 63" off the ground already, at 5'8" i can see over them enough to make them usable if i go up 3" they will be at eye lvel, this pit isnt for me personallyt i want the guy to be happy with it, i think hes about 5'10" tall
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Around 12 in.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
cholloway
is One Chatty Farker

Add a pair of heavy duty dolly wheels to a frame under the fire box. That way if it wants to drag through any dip while being towed, it will ride on the dollies and not the fire box.
33 year old Char-Broil 450
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
2003 Black Weber SS Performer
Weber 22.5 OTG with rotisserie & Smokenator
Weber SJS & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
STOK Island gasser
Recipient of Official & Un-Official Moink Certificates
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote