The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
rockytopsmokies
Found some matches.

Default Business Start Up

Guys-

I have been cooking for individuals and parties for a couple of years now. However, demand is through the roof and now I am dealing with possible catering agreements with businesses in our area. My question is with starting my official business, where do I start? Do I set up as an LLC? What kind of issues will I face with the health departments, etc? Any help would be great. Thanks!
rockytopsmokies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Jeffc
Knows what a fatty is.

My advice is to start with a solid buisness plan. With any start up regardless of domain a business plan will uncover if you can actually make any money. Money meaning fully burdened with realistic sales figures, cash flow etc.. It doesn't cost anything, other than time, to see if the numbers work and if it is sustainable. A solid plan is or at least should be the first step in any concept!
Just my 2 cents of course

Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

1st talk to the health dept to see what the requirements are. Next call your attorney and accountant and ask them your best options for setting up the business. Next get with local government and see about business licenses and requirements. Then talk to your insurance agent.

The answers to these questions will give you what you need, it is hard for us to answer because the laws will be much different depending on where you are. Be prepared to spend 10k - 40k to get started. If you want it go for it, I did three years ago and I Love it!
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote