The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
lm523
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default garbage can and ribs

has anyone heard of or tried smoking ribs inside of a new clean 30 gal. can ? I heard a guy talking about using a can , over a pit fire and smoking for a period of time. any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
lm523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default RE: garbage can and ribs

lm, the galvanized coating on a trash can,when heated, can produce toxic chemical that will be deposited on the meat that will make you quite sick.

That said, there is lots of info on the internet about making an electric smoker out of a garbage can and an electric hot plate. Apparently this arrangement doesn't produce adequate heat to release the toxins.

Find a new or food grade 30 or 55 gal type barrel to experiment with instead. Probably not as cheap, or easy to find, but much better safe than sorry where health is concerned.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with KC - the galvanizing is an issue. I know you can find how to do chicken and such in a garbage can on Scout sites.

Actually, any container will work - an old metal fridge or such (I've even though of an old clothes dryer!) can make a real cheap smoker.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
scottm4300
Full Fledged Farker

One of the important things about using a galvanized trash can is to make sure you burn it out first!! Set a good hot fire in it, or set it upside down over a bed of hot coals. This will burn off the toxic effects of the galvanized metal. I have a designated trash can that I have used several time to do a turkey under and it always comes out great. No one has ever gotten sick
Campfire Pit
Trashcan
scottm4300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Um, we have explored this about 20 times,

You don;t use galvanized cans, like previous posters.

You dudes need to get in touch with normal boy scout activities

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2005, 07:03 AM   #6
ckkphoto

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Re: RE: garbage can and ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
(I've even though of an old clothes dryer!) can make a real cheap smoker.
Just set the dial to cool heat and Permanent Pork.