The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Price for Pulled Pork

A buddy of mine runs a snackbar (ya, i know, weve heard this one before)...

I have been making him pulled pork for the last 6 months. I just made him a 3rd batch. I have been charging him $25 per butt. usually 6 butts, so $150 total.

this includes me buying them from RD, buying the injection, rubs, wood ect. Then smoking them for roughly 8 hours and pulling them and delivering it to the snackbar.

However after this last time the butts were pretty big and cost more than usual. the 6 butts were around 62 pounds total. thats a bit over 10 lbs per butt. So at 1.35 per lb, my meat was already hovering $85. tack on 6 at the supermarket, rubs and fuel, i probably make about 40-45 bucks for the batch (which is not worth it).

So this time i told him there were 7 butts bc they were so heavy and charged the extra $25. So at least i made roughly $70.

If someone wanted to buy in bulk like this, how much do you charge? Per pound? Per butt? And if by pound, do you do it precook weight, or after cook weight? How much per lb precook?

Thanks guys.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

My rule of thumb is to go four times the cost of the meat... this gives 25% to the meat cost, 25% to incidentals such as fuel, rubs etc. and about 50% for my time. Of course this calculation works for me and I'm not saying it's perfect for everyone. If you are paying for any kind of brick and mortar site to do the cooking, you will need to charge more. I used to do it for a lot less but soon found that I had "good friends" coming out of the woodwork. Now unless you gave me a Christmas present or it's for a church function, you gotta pay me for my time...
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

I sell pulled pork for $11.50 per lb. I would cut him 30 to 40% discount if he was ordering when I was already cooking. It is hard for two people to make a profit on BBQ.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson View Post
My rule of thumb is to go four times the cost of the meat... this gives 25% to the meat cost, 25% to incidentals such as fuel, rubs etc. and about 50% for my time. Of course this calculation works for me and I'm not saying it's perfect for everyone. If you are paying for any kind of brick and mortar site to do the cooking, you will need to charge more. I used to do it for a lot less but soon found that I had "good friends" coming out of the woodwork. Now unless you gave me a Christmas present or it's for a church function, you gotta pay me for my time...
yeeuupp...once you give your product away, that is all it ever will be worth...
however if this is a big volumn, then you have some wiggle room..next cook log in how much time and cost it took just to pick up the meat, time it took to prep and cost of supplies, now dont forget to log in how much time it took to clean up and delivery? When you see or can show him how much time is involved asking a fair price is documented and justified.....but up here I get between 10 to 11.50 per lb and will adjust for a special function..

Unread 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

I always had a 40lb cooked weight minimum at $9.00 per lb so $360 to them. My cost on that was roughly $120 take out fule ,rub ,wood ,time ect. I would end up with about $180ish and I would also show them what they would make off it. 3 sammies per lb at $8.00 min each so about $960 minus rolls and sauce and product they end up with about.$500 plus or minus
smokinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

If you want to charge by uncooked weight, an injected 8 pound butt will yield 4 to 5 pounds of end product or one 1/2 tray