The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Meat storage for contest.

I'm thinking about entering my first contest in November and I was wondering how to store the meat before cooking it. I'll be traveling on Friday morning, getting to the comp around noon on Friday, and will start to cook after midnight on Friday. Is it good enough to just store the meat in coolers with ice and do I need to plan on replenishing the ice durring the day on Friday?

NC Grimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: Meat storage for contest.

In the cooler is the way to go. Lots of ice. Depending on your cooler, you should not have to replenish.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
chad

Default RE: Meat storage for contest.

I use Coleman or Igloo 5-Day or whatever coolers. We pack the meat in it's own cooler (usually one of the 70 qt jobs to allow for lots of ice) and then fill it with ice. We've never had a problem. I usually have to chip away the ice to get to the meat for the inspector and then dump ice out after we get the last meat on the cookers. That's normally chicken at about 8 a.m. on Saturday.

Now, for the "other" chests (drinks, breakfast food, lettuce, etc.) we resupply the ice as needed. I usually take a 100+ qt cooler full of just ice for this purpose. Hey, I can buy it for under $2.00 for 20# at Sam's or pay $4-$5 per bag at the cook off!! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks.

NC Grimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Everything said is right on about cooling.

HINT--the safest and easiest way to pass meat inspection is to leave everything in the wrapping provided by the meat market.
Inspectors really like that--stops any question of "prepping" the meat beforehand
Inspection is normally done very soon after you arrive, so plenty of time to prep.

Enjoy your event!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2005, 06:07 AM   #6
parrothead

Quote:
pay $4-$5 per bag at the cook off!!
The next one I am going to provides free ice the whole time. I think it was free at Shannon also, but was not aware of that and had plenty.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #7
chad

Oh yeah! Ice is OFTEN $4-$5 a bag. I really appreciate the events with FREE ice!! :D Though I always seem to bring enough!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote