The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
BoarneSupremacy
Got Wood.

Default What's This!!! Dry Seasoning

I was in McCrory, Arkansas (wife's home town) the week of the 4th and had to make a trip to the Mad Butcher. While in there, I met a man who was handing out free hamburger and sausage samples. It was seasoned with a dry seasoning he had developed, and although a little heavy on the paprika and salt, it had a good overall taste on the meat and added a good spicy kick. I'm always in the market for something new. So, I bought a bottle of it.

This weekend I cooked some hamburgers with it, and it turned out to be outstanding. I can't speak highly enough. On Sunday, I Q'ed a rack of baby backs for myself (wife is still in AR 'til July 30 visiting family) using the season as a rub. I also tried to use Mesquite instead of Hickory for flavor. I've got an opinion on that, also, coming up. They turned out well, but I think I used too much of it and overpowered the meat a bit. It's either that or the mesquite messed it up which leads me to this.

I read in Dr. BBQ's Big-Time BBQ (book bought for me for Father's day) that mesquite imparts the taste of the devil's arse crack to meat. I think I proved him right although I don't truly know what that would taste like. Just my humble opinion, I think I'll stick to hickory.

Back to the subject of the post...

He has a web site, but I can't remember whether or not it's ok to post them here or not. I don't want to seem like schill even thought I guarantee you I am not.

Sorry for the long and rambling post, but it's been a while since I've been able to visit.

B.S.

Pink-lunged Novice Smoker

Misplaced Southern Boy Near the Big City
BoarneSupremacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default RE: What

Quote:
He has a web site, but I can't remember whether or not it's ok to post them here or not. I don't want to seem like schill even thought I guarantee you I am not.
Post it I'm driving thru Arkansas in a couple of weeks. No apologizies needed for a good ramble.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default RE: What

So what is the dry seasoning?

Recommendations are always welcome. You're only schilling if your selling your own products.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
BoarneSupremacy
Got Wood.

Meetings suck...just got home and got my belly full.

Hmmmm...didn't pay attention to that. It has MSG in it. Is that common?

Other than that the label says salt, spices, garlic and dehydrated oil (vegetable or soy bean).

On tasting it, black pepper is dominant with garlic a close second. There's something spicier than the black pepper there, but it seems the flavor of it is covered by the pepper.

The web site is:

http://www.whatsthisseasoning.com/

He sells some other seasoning as well that aren't his design. I found out today that my father-in-law knows who he is (small surprise in farming country), but he wouldn't say anything for or against his character. Regardless, the rub is pretty good. If you're traveling through, the web site has a store locator. I know they sell it in the Wynne Hays as well as the McCrory Mad Butcher.

B.S.

Pink-lunged Novice Smoker

Misplaced Southern Boy Near the Big City
BoarneSupremacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: What's This!!! Dry Seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarneSupremacy
I also tried to use Mesquite instead of Hickory for flavor. I've got an opinion on that, also, coming up. They turned out well, but I think I used too much of it and overpowered the meat a bit. It's either that or the mesquite messed it up which leads me to this.

I read in Dr. BBQ's Big-Time BBQ (book bought for me for Father's day) that mesquite imparts the taste of the devil's arse crack to meat. I think I proved him right although I don't truly know what that would taste like. Just my humble opinion, I think I'll stick to hickory.
I agree with you on mesquite. To me it is good for grilling but too much for smoking. If I do use mesquite I mix it pretty thin with some kind of fruit wood or even charcoal. My favorite smoke wood is hickory, but on the grill mesquite makes a mighty tastey steak.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: Re: What

MSG is a very common rub ingredient - it's all about enhancing taste and that's what MSG does.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote