ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Where should the KCBS banquet be held?
Continue as is - alternate every other year with Kansas City 27 51.92%
Hold in Kansas City every year 25 48.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS Banquet Location

Recently we have had a banquet in the East and the West. Several negative and positive comments have come with each loaction. With the move to regional representation I'm sure there will be a move to have in each region. Although it can be cold I'm a fan of having in Kansas City. Having in one location should allow KCBS to negotiate a multiyear deal and allow for prior proper planning for all concerned. Let the discussion begin

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

KC HAS HALLS FOR RECEPTIONS WITH POWER agreed,kc central location,attendance would be greater,althouygh i liked raffle out on coast
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Guys going on the road every other year isn't too much to ask
KC next year Then the South is due then KC then the East then KC then VEGAS ;0)
I know SD was difficult for many to do
But they did organize a fine event
Deals can be made with hotel chains not just one location

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I don't mind the rotational idea, but I think the actual dinner that is served can certainly be improved. Be nice to not have to eat before the banquet.
I also really liked the trade show idea that was rolled out at the last KC banquet. That was cool.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

They need to come North.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Questions for those of you who regularily attend.

Are the attendees normally the same crew?
Or, are there a lot of new members there every year?

At San Diego, any idea how many total attendees and how many of those were there only because it was on the West Coast?
Any idea how many members from the Central US did not attend only because of the distance?

Just Curious

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
sweetracks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
They need to come North.
Read my mind Rich

Unread 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are many who will travel to this. Then there are members like myself who will be able to go when it is in the area
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

There's a 964 room hotel and convention center (Managed by Marriott) connected to my workplace in Norman, OK. 60,000 sq. ft of recreational area including heated saline pool, gymnasium, high-end weight room, sauna, Route 66 Lounge and much more. Bring the meeting there and I can probably work a deal on rooms for around $75 per night, and big discounts on meeting/banquet space.

Unread 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I would like to see some of the state or regional bbq associations bid for it or have some type of rotation and let the locals, with local knowledge assist MMA & KCBS with organizing an event that is educational, entertaining, and economical event. Just my 2 cents worth.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

This was the first banquet I've missed since 1999. Granted, they had been held exclusively in KC until recently. In 2008 there were over 400 people in attendance, in KC. If my memory serves me, I believe there were almost 200 attendees in San Diego. The numbers seem to go down when its out of KC. Think of the expense for KCBS when its out of town: airfare, meals, car rental, accommodations for the office staff.....that's a lot of cash. There may be a scouting trip involved as well, I don't know. When the banquet was held in Nashville, there were a lot of first time attendees, I may have seen a few of them the next year when it was back in KC and Nashville's only 8 hours away.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
nukenight
Knows what a fatty is.

KCBS has 15000 members and growing. I think we need to first figure out how to bring a bigger fraction of members to the yearly annual meeting and dinner. A dinner for a few hundred people can be done anywhere. Unless you are in the TOY hunt, a contest rep, or board member, why would the average member want to come? The whole concept of an awards dinner was designed when KCBS was relatively small and centered in the middle of the country. Now with good cookers and lots of judges spread out everywhere, the whole idea of an awards dinner being the centerpiece for an annual meeting needs some re-working. The KCBS board should have one 2-5 hour long open public meeting every year at the location of its annual meeting. At this meeting, anyone who is a member can talk. You want open meetings? Fine, then have one! Let the members present vote on things like real organizations do at their annual meetings. Decide the future of your group right there at the meeting. Board members are more accountable this way! Make the dinner awards one of the big components of the weekend. However, don't make it the only thing. I'd consider going to a KCBS weekend like this is the awards dinner was NOT the only activity open to members. Make this weekend more like a convention rather than the TOY awards dinner. I would also try real hard and NOT have it in KC for awhile. There are lots of members outside the KC area that would attend a KCBS convention and not just a KCBS awards dinner. You want to find ways of being more inclusive and bring in judges. This is 2/3 or your money base who rarely attend because there is nothing for them at your yearly awards program. KCBS needs to learn how to get hotels and other travel needs that cost less too. SD was just too expensive for a road trip. A total of 200-400 persons attending out of 15000 members is not good. We need to find away to have the KCBS convention as I am going to call it in a vacation hotspot, where it is warm and sunny and costs are low. I know the FL/AL gulf coast in Jan is a good spot for a meeting. This is just one example of a place that would work. I have attended one KCBS dinner in KC a few years ago. My wife and I will not go back until there are more things on the schedule that relate to us. I like going to conventions. However, with money tight everywhere, KCBS needs to re-think its mission and try to bring more people to an annual meeting, rather than an awards dinner.
nukenight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I say Gaylord palms convention ctr in Orlando fl
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Hold a convention with exhibitors, lectures, discussion panels and classes. Somewhere in the middle have an open annual meeting. A lot more interesting tan an awards dinner.

Unread 02-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Keep it in KC every year. No region deserves it more than anyone. Everyone e feels slighted if they don't get it. But to pay $55 for a dinner, served on paper plates, no beverages, no bathrooms, banquet not in the hotel and have to walk to get to the tent, I think might be pushing it. That is no slam on the folks at KCBS or the folks that catered. That was not a $55 meal though. San Diego was nice. The whole trip was overpriced though. I've been going since 2006 and have gone to all the new cities. I have fun and enjoy seeing all my peeps..... But... Not seeing a TON of regulars not in San Diego is telling.

Keep it in KC. It is the KANSAS CITY Barbeque Society.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->