oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Removable trailer tongue?

PITA, or worth the trouble and cost? Thanks!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Main reason for me was that it's easier to trade out ball size than using wrenches and different balls. For me, it was about the same cost, but I like the convenience factor.
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I'm guessing you don't have a hitch receiver where you can just swap out the tow bar? That's pretty easy for me!

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
CarolinaQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I can adjust the heigth of the ball at my trailer with the adjustable and removable hitch, plus, when not in use, I remove it to lessen the chance of someone driving off with my trailer and Ole Hickory pit!
CarolinaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I'm guessing you don't have a hitch receiver where you can just swap out the tow bar? That's pretty easy for me!

dmp
I believe I may have not asked the question correctly. Yes, I do have a hitch receiver, but I'm referring to a trailer that you can remove the tongue to shorten the overall length and fit into a 20' comp space if your trailer tongue makes you go over 20'.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]

Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQ View Post
I can adjust the heigth of the ball at my trailer with the adjustable and removable hitch, plus, when not in use, I remove it to lessen the chance of someone driving off with my trailer and Ole Hickory pit!
Very good point about removing the tongue to keep someone from driving off with it! How much trouble is it to remove and replace?
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
I'm referring to a trailer that you can remove the tongue to shorten the overall length and fit into a 20' comp space if your trailer tongue makes you go over 20'.
I was really referring to CarolinaQ. He said that he removes the tongue to help adjust the height. Unless you have a ball mounted to the bumber on a tow vehicle, I would rather keep a single tongue and a different tow bar in each tow vehicle. Theft deterence and fitting into a 20' comp space make good sense for a removable tongue though...

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
GQue
Full Fledged Farker

I got one...Its just 2 pins..It does not take long at all..maybe 1-2 minutes but it is a 2 person job - I got it to stay within a 20 ft comp space without having to have to pay for the extra space at most comps.
Memphis Pro
Gasser
CBJ #52802

Learn easy and effective tricks on the grill and smoker at my you tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQGQue
GQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQue View Post
I got one...Its just 2 pins..It does not take long at all..maybe 1-2 minutes but it is a 2 person job - I got it to stay within a 20 ft comp space without having to have to pay for the extra space at most comps.
Hey, Jason! I had forgotten that you had one on your rig or I would have PM'ed you and asked! And it sure helps knowing it's the same manufacturer! Thanks for the input once more! (and ssssshhh)
BTW, the dealer I've been talking to has come down $2K from his initial price on a unit he ordered and hasn't picked up yet. It's totally "pimped out" including air/heat and concession window (but no sinks) - $9.9K. I think it even has the 7 spoke mags and a spare tire in the hidden compartment! He's also offering to wave the shipping charges of $400, so it's really minus $2.4K!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]